Coding music

sventunus
Hi guys,

As some of you know, our office has competed in a 24hr PHP hackathon past weekend.
While my team coded a Twitter-driven hardware synthesizer with Arduino, the other team from our office did a project called "Coding Music".
In essence, it's a social website where programmers can share and rate playlists/favourite music they like to play while coding.

So with this in mind, I was wondering: what is the music preference of haXe coders?
Does the "niche" language imply niche music too, or are most haXe programmers also just human beings? ;-)
Let us know by replying to this email!

Both projects will be online very soon including full sources too by the way, if you'd like to see what we've been coding in 24hrs time.

Kind regards,
Sven

P.S.: I'm the only haXe coder at the office for the moment as far as I know, and my musical preference seems to be quite different from the rest of the squad.
Heavy metal/trashmetal/punkrock and hardcore house for me. Not everyone's cup of tea apparently ;-)

I'm a haXe target!

Re: Coding music

jlm@justinfront.net
Sven

I enjoy salsa music mainly for dancing not sure how it works for
coding, I think I prefer perfect silence for coding or something
upbeat and lively to rev me up if a problem is dragging me down so I
probably have a wide taste with some latin influences, but nothing
specific comes to mind.  Fairly sure any office chit chat can easily
kill my focus unless it's part of code paring which I actually feel is
very useful.

;j

On 30 May 2011, at 23:38, Sven Dens wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> As some of you know, our office has competed in a 24hr PHP hackathon
> past weekend.
> While my team coded a Twitter-driven hardware synthesizer with
> Arduino, the other team from our office did a project called "Coding
> Music".
> In essence, it's a social website where programmers can share and
> rate playlists/favourite music they like to play while coding.
>
> So with this in mind, I was wondering: what is the music preference
> of haXe coders?
> Does the "niche" language imply niche music too, or are most haXe
> programmers also just human beings? ;-)
> Let us know by replying to this email!
>
> Both projects will be online very soon including full sources too by
> the way, if you'd like to see what we've been coding in 24hrs time.
>
> Kind regards,
> Sven
>
> P.S.: I'm the only haXe coder at the office for the moment as far as
> I know, and my musical preference seems to be quite different from
> the rest of the squad.
> Heavy metal/trashmetal/punkrock and hardcore house for me. Not
> everyone's cup of tea apparently ;-)

Re: Coding music

sventunus
Hey Jim,

Thanks for your email!
Salsa is cool :-) My previous girlfriend was half Spanish and I've listened and danced to a lot of salsa when I was with her ;-)

We differ in that you seem to like absolute silence while coding.
For me, super-duper heavy metal or hardcore house gets me jacked up completely and makes me code at least 3x faster as opposed to when I'm at peace in silence...
Discovered this when I went to live on my own and I had to do my own ironing ;-)
Without music it became a drag real quick.
With some hardcore music playing, I got excited and went at it much faster ;-)

I'm a haXe target!

Re: Coding music

sventunus
For me it does...
Allows me to go in "isolation mode" at the office.
Not sure I hear the music at all when I'm tackling a tough issue, but at least I'm able to do it with, say, Biohazard pounding through my speakers ;-)

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:22 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm a haXe target!

Re: Coding music

Justin Donaldson-3
I've been listening to "Fleet Foxes,"  a band based out of Oregon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrzVegqeBNE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33jJRZhtl8&feature=related

I've studied social music habits pretty extensively, My Ph.D. focused on different related analytic and visualization methods.  Here's one of the longer presentations I gave with a colleague from echonest:
http://scwn.net/2009/10/27/a-magnum-opus-of-music-visualization/

For the record, I'm not aware of any music related studies on coding, I'd be interested in hearing more about it as well!  If there's enough response, I can forward this on to the echonest folks, it might make for a good blog post over there.

Best,
-Justin

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 3:22 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

RE: Coding music

Ambient music helps me… Aphex Twin or AIR does it.  J

Lee

Re: Coding music

David Bergman
I think everybody needs a level of peace and relative quiet to solve really hard problems. There are no exceptions. Music without words, at a reasonably slow tempo is the only music that works for such problems - baroque, ambient music, lounge-style jazz (albeit not too sugary ;-) ) Other music can come handy when needing to "disturb the circles" a bit, but then one needs peace again.

That said, when going into "monkey coding mode", yes, a fast paced music can make those phases go faster. And, we all spend more and more of our time on monkey coding nowadays - thanks, Google! Pretty cool development.

Of course, the silly idea of open workspaces does not work for hard problems, unless most people are synchronized mentally. But, "business" often want "fast results" nowadays - read "PHP and scrum".

Or perhaps youngsters are wired differently and can truly create complex engines and compilers while listening to Lady Gaga. In that case, a hooray from a grumpy old corner of the world.

/David

On May 30, 2011, at 6:30 PM, Sven Dens wrote:

[...]

lol, love your email David!
Or should I say "grumpy old man"? ;-)

I'm 32. So not a youngster anymore I'd guess, and not old enough to be a grumpy old man either ;-)

I myself love, LOVE opera! In particular Verdi, lovely over-the-top bloated drama. That - or intimate songs from Evanescence or Anouk - is what's playing in my headphones when I need to tackle a really hard logical problem.
It's true that the harder stuff only plays while coding routine things, and it's also true that this is the case 80% of the time.
But still, absolute silence at the office (+/- 85 people there) is an illusion, and generally, wearing my headphones with *any* kind of music playing makes me more productive than just listening to nothing at all and being exposed to all the noises in the office.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:53 AM, David Bergman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm a haXe target!

Re: Coding music

David Bergman
Words are fine as long as one does not understand them, so, yes, Verdi is alright ;-)

And, regarding the +/- 85 assessment, I'd prefer the -85 variant..; yes, I do not like people around me when solving hard problems. I barely like them in my vicinity when not solving problems either. In general, I frown upon any olfactory or audio signal that is not directly related to the task at hand. I.e., speak, sound or smell only if it benefits the company.

/David "making 'old and grumpy' seem fresh and vibrant in comparison" Bergman

On May 30, 2011, at 7:14 PM, Sven Dens wrote:

[...]

danielku15
Usually I listen to any songs in my library (there is no special coding-playlist). My library consists of various metal genres (Melodic Death Metal, Folk Metal, Pagan Metal, ...). If I need some silence because of heavy thinking I change to Schandmaul (a german medieval folk rock band), Van Canto (a german acapella metal band) and a list of acoustic metal songs.

Le 31/05/2011 00:53, David Bergman a écrit :
> Or perhaps youngsters are wired differently and can truly create complex
> engines and compilers while listening to Lady Gaga. In that case, a
> hooray from a grumpy old corner of the world.

I kind of remind coding some hard parts of the haXe compiler while
listening J-Pop online radio ;)

Re: Coding music

Raphael Harmel
Hey Sven

Interesting subject !

David's point of view is a bit too extreme for me, as I am convinced
it really depends on the person, and on his music habits and tastes...

For instance, a techno music addict like me could code with some heavy
techno on the ears, with no real issue. And I think the same for all
kind of "hard" music.
Some people from my team listen to experimental jazz while coding,
which could really not be possible for me.
And for sure, it also depend on your inside "peace" at that time.

In a way, it depends on the level of abstraction you can take from the
music you're listening to.

That's for the debate part :-)

To come back to the original subject, I'm a big fan of soul, jazzy &
funky music (70's rules !), minimal techno, house, some eclectic djs
like Gilles Peterson (brazilian music, electro, dubstep...), reggae,
and a lot into bootleg and mash-ups these last weeks !

Raph

2011/5/31 David Bergman <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> peace in silence...
>> Discovered this when I went to live on my own and I had to do my own
>> ironing ;-)
>> Without music it became a drag real quick.
>> With some hardcore music playing, I got excited and went at it much faster
>> ;-)
>>
>> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>
>>> I enjoy salsa music mainly for dancing not sure how it works for coding,
>>> I think I prefer perfect silence for coding or something upbeat and lively
>>> to rev me up if a problem is dragging me down so I probably have a wide
>>> taste with some latin influences, but nothing specific comes to mind.
>>>  Fairly sure any office chit chat can easily kill my focus unless it's part
>>> of code paring which I actually feel is very useful.

Re: Coding music

Quickform | Marcus Bergstrom
Heavy Duty Coding:
---------------------------
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians (et al)
Netsky - Eyes Closed

Cruising:
------------
Plej - Electronic Music From The Swedish Left Coast
Bookashade - Movements
Yonderboi - Splendid Isolationpo
Air (is good too)

Serious Concentration Please: (love jazz)
Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop
Lars Gullin - Fäbodjazz

Marcus Bergstrom

Re: Coding music

Julien CASTETS
Glad to see there is progressive trance addicts !! :)

http://www.schizoid.in/ as a Philisomatika replacement.

Cheers!

2011/5/31 Quickform | Marcus Bergstrom <[hidden email]>
Heavy Duty Coding:
---------------------------
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians (et al)
Netsky - Eyes Closed

Cruising:
------------
Plej - Electronic Music From The Swedish Left Coast
Bookashade - Movements
Yonderboi - Splendid Isolationpo
Air (is good too)

Serious Concentration Please: (love jazz)
Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop
Lars Gullin - Fäbodjazz

Marcus Bergstrom

Re: Coding music

Okay, I'm drawn to two items in your list.

Pagan Metal.  Hmm.  I didn't know there was such thing.  What bands does
that include?

German acapella metal band...  Acapella metal?  What on earth does that
sound like?  A cross between the Flying Pickets and Rammstein?  Ba da da
feuer feuer???  :-D

Lee

Usually I listen to any songs in my library (there is no special
coding-playlist). My library consists of various metal genres (Melodic Death
Metal, Folk Metal, Pagan Metal, ...). If I need some silence because of
heavy thinking I change to Schandmaul (a german medieval folk rock band),
Van Canto (a german acapella metal band) and a list of acoustic metal songs.

haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: Coding music

tom rhodes
"  A cross between the Flying Pickets and Rammstein?  Ba da da
feuer feuer???  :-D"

ahahahahahahahah.

for me if i have to concentrate hard then instrumentals, soul, dub, hip-hop, jazz, jazz-funk, drum and bass, dub step, even some classical stuff. can't deal with words if i have to concentrate for some reason! otherwise a similar list of genres but with a singer/rapper on top :)

On 31 May 2011 15:42, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, I'm drawn to two items in your list.

Pagan Metal.  Hmm.  I didn't know there was such thing.  What bands does
that include?

German acapella metal band...  Acapella metal?  What on earth does that
sound like?  A cross between the Flying Pickets and Rammstein?  Ba da da
feuer feuer???  :-D

Lee

Re: Coding music

Simon Krajewski
Am 31.05.2011 15:42, schrieb Lee Sylvester:
> German acapella metal band...  Acapella metal?  What on earth does that
> sound like?  A cross between the Flying Pickets and Rammstein?  Ba da da
> feuer feuer???  :-D

It's technically not a capella as they use a drummer, nor do they sing
German. Afaik they mostly cover known metal songs in their drums + voice
style, which sounds pretty interesting.

Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyHcIHssdHA

Blind Guardian's "The Bard's Song":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxCl2TJNnQ