C++ for server-side web dev?

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Excerpt from http://haxe.org/doc/targets/cpp:

* HaXe allows you to change the backend web language without significant code changes, so it is easy to setup with php haXe and then migrate to neko and then c++ as a site becomes successful enough to justify a dedicated server.

Is that really supported? I mean, can we already develop transparently for the web and serve C++ web apps written in haXe? If so, this would be revolutionary, imagine having the productivity of haXe with the performance of C/C++.

Re: C++ for server-side web dev?

KaalH!

Le 29 juil. 2011 à 06:40, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa a écrit :

Excerpt from http://haxe.org/doc/targets/cpp:

* HaXe allows you to change the backend web language without significant code changes, so it is easy to setup with php haXe and then migrate to neko and then c++ as a site becomes successful enough to justify a dedicated server.

Is that really supported? I mean, can we already develop transparently for the web and serve C++ web apps written in haXe? If so, this would be revolutionary, imagine having the productivity of haXe with the performance of C/C++.

hxfcgi serves haxe c++ compiled code as cgi/fastcgi. It's a young project but already faster than neko/php.

You can find comparative speed tests here : http://go2ghana.net/devel/compare.php

Sadly, SPOD is not (yet) supported on cpp target, porting a real server side neko/php project to cpp still requires a lot of work.

kaalh

Re: C++ for server-side web dev?

tom rhodes
sooo, from that link i get...

15 requests C CGI C FCGI PHP extension HaXE CPP CGI HaXE neko CGI HaXe CPP FCGI HaXe neko FCGI HaXe mod_neko

Sum: 0.341982 0.165015 0.458354 0.745214 1.810806 0.24321 0.599484 0.369569

is that haxe PHP or straight up normal PHP? coz it looks to be faster that haxe CPP and neko FCGI?

On 29 July 2011 11:09, KaalH! <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

jamesbjackson
Guys,

You considered Node.JS as that is C++ based, based on the Google Chrome JavaScript  V8 Engine, you write HaXe JS with the Node API which has already had the type def's done then the server parses your JS and runs it as a  C++ Non Blocking Eventing Server :-)

Just a suggestion :-)

James

PS: I using it at the moment, and it's great in HaXe, just like coding normal HaXe JS without the DOM :-D

Le 29 juil. 2011 à 12:52, tom rhodes a écrit :

sooo, from that link i get...

15 requests C CGI C FCGI PHP extension HaXE CPP CGI HaXE neko CGI HaXe CPP FCGI HaXe neko FCGI HaXe mod_neko

Sum: 0.341982 0.165015 0.458354 0.745214 1.810806 0.24321 0.599484 0.369569

is that haxe PHP or straight up normal PHP? coz it looks to be faster that haxe CPP and neko FCGI?

I don't know if it's haxe generated php or not.

We are testing here against a php C extension (ming), not pure php code vs haxe cpp.
neko fastcgi is quite slower than mod_neko, but only pure C fastcgi is faster than haxe cpp fastcgi.

hxfcgi is not optimized yet, and benchmarks are only benchmarks, not real use cases.

kaalh

[...]

Also here is some stats for Node.JS and Maths

Also you can build your own C++ Modules which you can load into Node.JS

James

Le 29 juil. 2011 à 13:11, James Jackson a écrit :

Guys,

You considered Node.JS as that is C++ based, based on the Google Chrome JavaScript  V8 Engine, you write HaXe JS with the Node API which has already had the type def's done then the server parses your JS and runs it as a  C++ Non Blocking Eventing Server :-)

Just a suggestion :-)

James

PS: I using it at the moment, and it's great in HaXe, just like coding normal HaXe JS without the DOM :-D

It'll be great if you can take some time to wrote a little tutorial or sample code for the haxe wiki.

Just a suggestion :-)

kaalh

[...]

go2ghana
Am 29.07.2011 12:52, schrieb tom rhodes:

> sooo, from that link i get...
>
> *15 requests* *C CGI* *C FCGI* *PHP extension* *HaXE CPP CGI*
> *HaXE neko CGI* *HaXe CPP FCGI* *HaXe neko FCGI* *HaXe mod_neko*
>

> *Sum:* *0.341982* *0.165015* *0.458354* *0.745214* *1.810806*
> *0.24321* *0.599484* *0.369569*
>

> is that haxe PHP or straight up normal PHP? coz it looks to be faster
> that haxe CPP and neko FCGI?
it is the native PHP extension with 0.458354  and HAXE CPP FCGI  with
0.24321 nearly twice as fast :)
outperformed only by C FCGI :(

> On 29 July 2011 11:09, KaalH! <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>

>     Le 29 juil. 2011 à 06:40, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa a écrit :
>
>>     Excerpt from http://haxe.org/doc/targets/cpp:
>>
>>         * HaXe allows you to change the backend web language without
>>         significant code changes, so it is easy to setup with php
>>         haXe and then migrate to neko and then c++ as a site becomes
>>         successful enough to justify a dedicated server.
>>

>>     Is that really supported? I mean, can we already develop
>>     transparently for the web and serve C++ web apps written in haXe?
>>     If so, this would be revolutionary, imagine having the
>>     productivity of haXe with the performance of C/C++.
>>

>     hxfcgi serves haxe c++ compiled code as cgi/fastcgi. It's a young
>     project but already faster than neko/php.
>     You can find comparative speed tests here :
>     http://go2ghana.net/devel/compare.php
>
>     Sadly, SPOD is not (yet) supported on cpp target, porting a real
>     server side neko/php project to cpp still requires a lot of work.
>
>     kaalh
>
>>     M>
>>     --
>>     haXe - an open source web programming language
>>     http://haxe.org
>

>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: C++ for server-side web dev?

Johann Borck
On 07/29/2011 11:09 AM, KaalH! wrote:

Le 29 juil. 2011 à 06:40, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa a écrit :

Excerpt from http://haxe.org/doc/targets/cpp:

* HaXe allows you to change the backend web language without significant code changes, so it is easy to setup with php haXe and then migrate to neko and then c++ as a site becomes successful enough to justify a dedicated server.

Is that really supported? I mean, can we already develop transparently for the web and serve C++ web apps written in haXe? If so, this would be revolutionary, imagine having the productivity of haXe with the performance of C/C++.

hxfcgi serves haxe c++ compiled code as cgi/fastcgi. It's a young project but already faster than neko/php.

You can find comparative speed tests here : http://go2ghana.net/devel/compare.php

Hello,
please forgive me if this sounds rude, please try to read it as constructive criticism. What are these benchmarks meant to be about? Is the code available? Benchmarks without exact information about what is to happen where and when (i.e code and thorough information about the infrastructure, especially when networks are involved) are meaningless.

Moreover this particuar benchmark does not seem to measure different web-platforms/technologies at all. 0.8 seconds for 15 requests would be a horrible, horrible figure unless one is serving really big resources. It is probably trying to measure rendering  performance or whatever (and in that case network latency would do nothing except distort the picture), and hence doesn't give a clue about how the web-related portions of the code that are executed perform. Moreover 15 repetitions is orders of magnitude too few to make any statement in such a context. On decent hardware today it is easily possible to handle thousands of requests per second, even with averagely performing servers, let alone fast ones.

regards,
Johann

Re: C++ for server-side web dev?

go2ghana
Am 29.07.2011 17:09, schrieb Johann Borck:

> On 07/29/2011 11:09 AM, KaalH! wrote:
>>
>> Le 29 juil. 2011 à 06:40, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa a écrit :
>>
>>> Excerpt from http://haxe.org/doc/targets/cpp:
>>>
>>>     * HaXe allows you to change the backend web language without
>>>     significant code changes, so it is easy to setup with php haXe
>>>     and then migrate to neko and then c++ as a site becomes
>>>     successful enough to justify a dedicated server.
>>>

>>> Is that really supported? I mean, can we already develop
>>> transparently for the web and serve C++ web apps written in haXe? If
>>> so, this would be revolutionary, imagine having the productivity of
>>> haXe with the performance of C/C++.
>>>

>> hxfcgi serves haxe c++ compiled code as cgi/fastcgi. It's a young
>> project but already faster than neko/php.
>> You can find comparative speed tests here :
>> http://go2ghana.net/devel/compare.php
>
> Hello,
> please forgive me if this sounds rude, please try to read it as
> constructive criticism. What are these benchmarks meant to be about?
> Is the code available? Benchmarks without exact information about what
> is to happen where and when (i.e code and thorough information about
> the infrastructure, especially when networks are involved) are
> meaningless.

Good point - the code is somewhere still... but I guess better someone
more talented would write a well designed benchmark code.
The one linked here was only to compare the option to work with the ming
lib ported to haxe ...