Box2Dhx

Heinz Hölzer-2
Hi List,

i just updated the box2d port (based on as3 port) of haxe, it is now running on the flash-platform
and the neash/nme platform (cpp & neko).

http://code.google.com/p/box2dhx

While the cpp version is really fast, the neko version is currently a lot slower.
But the whole port is not optimized and there is a lot to do to increase the performance
and to clean up the code. The code is really dirty because the as3-port was highly optimized for
the flash-platform, which means that a lot of functions were manually inlined.

If anyone is interested in optimizing and working on the lib please contact me.
I'm currently out of time because i have to learn for a few exams.

cheers
heinz

Re: Box2Dhx

Tony Polinelli
wow- i'm really suprised by the speed of the cpp version. I'd like to
try it on the iphone soon- if it runs well, some games are in store!
Might wait for Hughs iphone gfx updates first - as to not dishearten
myself ;P

2010/1/13 Heinz Hölzer <[hidden email]>:

> Hi List,
>
> i just updated the box2d port (based on as3 port) of haxe, it is now running
> on the flash-platform
> and the neash/nme platform (cpp & neko).
>
> http://code.google.com/p/box2dhx
>
> While the cpp version is really fast, the neko version is currently a lot
> slower.
> But the whole port is not optimized and there is a lot to do to increase the
> performance
> and to clean up the code. The code is really dirty because the as3-port was
> highly optimized for
> the flash-platform, which means that a lot of functions were manually
> inlined.
>
> If anyone is interested in optimizing and working on the lib please contact
> me.
> I'm currently out of time because i have to learn for a few exams.
>
> cheers
> heinz

Re: Box2Dhx

Heinz Hölzer-2
yeah, i was suprised too, especially if you run it the opengl option
(-opengl).

I think the new hxcpp version has brought major speed improvements.
Hugh, that was amazing work!!!

Am 13.01.2010 02:44, schrieb Tony Polinelli:

> wow- i'm really suprised by the speed of the cpp version. I'd like to
> try it on the iphone soon- if it runs well, some games are in store!
> Might wait for Hughs iphone gfx updates first - as to not dishearten
> myself ;P
>

> 2010/1/13 Heinz Hölzer<[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> i just updated the box2d port (based on as3 port) of haxe, it is now running
>> on the flash-platform
>> and the neash/nme platform (cpp&  neko).
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/box2dhx
>>
>> While the cpp version is really fast, the neko version is currently a lot
>> slower.
>> But the whole port is not optimized and there is a lot to do to increase the
>> performance
>> and to clean up the code. The code is really dirty because the as3-port was
>> highly optimized for
>> the flash-platform, which means that a lot of functions were manually
>> inlined.
>>
>> If anyone is interested in optimizing and working on the lib please contact
>> me.
>> I'm currently out of time because i have to learn for a few exams.
>>
>> cheers
>> heinz

Re: Box2Dhx

Chris Hecker

Care to profile it versus the original C++ version?  Would be an
interesting data point.

Chris

Tony Polinelli wrote:

> wow- i'm really suprised by the speed of the cpp version. I'd like to
> try it on the iphone soon- if it runs well, some games are in store!
> Might wait for Hughs iphone gfx updates first - as to not dishearten
> myself ;P
>

> 2010/1/13 Heinz Hölzer <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> i just updated the box2d port (based on as3 port) of haxe, it is now running
>> on the flash-platform
>> and the neash/nme platform (cpp & neko).
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/box2dhx
>>
>> While the cpp version is really fast, the neko version is currently a lot
>> slower.
>> But the whole port is not optimized and there is a lot to do to increase the
>> performance
>> and to clean up the code. The code is really dirty because the as3-port was
>> highly optimized for
>> the flash-platform, which means that a lot of functions were manually
>> inlined.
>>
>> If anyone is interested in optimizing and working on the lib please contact
>> me.
>> I'm currently out of time because i have to learn for a few exams.
>>
>> cheers
>> heinz

Re: Box2Dhx

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Currently it would require a bit of work because the C++ one uses both a different test set and as far as I can tell runs in a different way, or at least the current testbed doesn't give you FPS vs Physics FPS. I think you'd also have to run them each in silence (without visuals) for a good idea of how things are actually running for the physics.

It will be interesting to put these up against Motor2 when it comes out, as well of course PhysHaXe.

Good times ahead.

Tony Polinelli wrote:
[...]

Yes, I think I'm getting quite a bit from a very small change to NME,
some from improved garbage collection, and a little bit from removing
multiple inheritance in favor of delegation.
The ipod(touch) performance is still not great ~ 12 fps.
I think I can improve this a bit with a little bit better control
over garbage collection, and some work on how data are passed to NME.
Also, using bitmaps instead of line-drawings may help.
But the ipod is nice for physics, because you can hook up the
accelerometer to gravity for some cool effects.   I also have
a little fix for NME to get fonts working properly on ipod,
which I will need to put into haxelib soon.

Hugh