Boost like library for haxe

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a Boost style library for haxe? That is, a "go to" library that extends all the basic functionality in a uniform way?

This thought came about after yesterday reading on the list that someone was trying to find a way to create directories recursively, and they expected it to be in the standard library.

This library would be quite verbose / large, but not part of the core. But you could point to answer a lot of problems, "Yep, haxelib install Hoost and you'll be able to do that". Could include other libs (versioned) such as polygonal, nme etc?

Re: Boost like library for haxe

Danny Wilson
I think caffeine-hx, prime.vc and a few others (thx?) already try to do
this.

My experience with Scala/Clojure tells me smaller focused libraries tend
to work well or better, when the discovery of libraries and distribution
mechanism is easy to use.
A few examples: http://www.clojure-toolbox.com/  -  http://implicit.ly/
-  for clojure projects it's a matter of a few tiny lines of code to use
someone's library: https://github.com/technomancy/leiningen

I think there have been some improvement proposals and patches for
haxelib but have no idea what happened to it.

There's already alot of stuff in prime.vc which we plan to split into
subprojects 'soon'.
Ruben has started documenting prime.vc - and contributions are welcome
(as you'd expect) :-)

Danny Wilson

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer wrote:

> Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a Boost style
> library for haxe? That is, a "go to" library that extends all the
> basic functionality in a uniform way?
>
> This thought came about after yesterday reading on the list that
> someone was trying to find a way to create directories recursively,
> and they expected it to be in the standard library.
>
> This library would be quite verbose / large, but not part of the core.
> But you could point to answer a lot of problems, "Yep, haxelib install
> Hoost and you'll be able to do that". Could include other libs
> (versioned) such as polygonal, nme etc?
>

> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> _______________________
>
> Touch My Pixel
> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
> _______________________

Re: Boost like library for haxe

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
PrimeVC: looks more to be a Flash MVC no?

caffeine-hx: This does add some useful things to "File" ie "append", but alas nothing to FileSystem.

As a community do we then go to the people working on caffeine and put in requests for additions such as "createDirectoryRecursive" / submit to them our hacks for it?

Who is it who takes care of caffeine-hx anyway?

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Danny Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
caffeine-hx

Re: Boost like library for haxe

Russell Weir
Caffeine-hx is my little project, although I wouldn't currently call
it "taken care of"... more like "parked" at the moment. There was some
code that was about to be added to the filesystem/file io, but I lost
a raid last year, and finally just found the backup last week. (not
that I was looking too hard)

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> PrimeVC: looks more to be a Flash MVC no?
> caffeine-hx: This does add some useful things to "File" ie "append", but
> alas nothing to FileSystem.
>
> As a community do we then go to the people working on caffeine and put in
> requests for additions such as "createDirectoryRecursive" / submit to them
> our hacks for it?
> Who is it who takes care of caffeine-hx anyway?
>

> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> _______________________
>
> Touch My Pixel
> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
> _______________________
>

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Danny Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> caffeine-hx

Re: Boost like library for haxe

Juan Delgado
On the extending the standard API front, XAPI does that. These are the
additions / shortcuts over the standard API (last time I checked):

https://github.com/zarate/xapi/wiki/Additions-to-the-official-API

Or the full API here:

http://lib.haxe.org/d/xapi/0.3/

I've not pushed much lately but mostly because I use XAPI quite a lot
and it's been working great for me.

HTH!

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Russell Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Caffeine-hx is my little project, although I wouldn't currently call
> it "taken care of"... more like "parked" at the moment. There was some
> code that was about to be added to the filesystem/file io, but I lost
> a raid last year, and finally just found the backup last week. (not
> that I was looking too hard)
>
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> PrimeVC: looks more to be a Flash MVC no?
>> caffeine-hx: This does add some useful things to "File" ie "append", but
>> alas nothing to FileSystem.
>>
>> As a community do we then go to the people working on caffeine and put in
>> requests for additions such as "createDirectoryRecursive" / submit to them
>> our hacks for it?
>> Who is it who takes care of caffeine-hx anyway?
>>

>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>> _______________________
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
>> _______________________
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Danny Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> caffeine-hx

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: Boost like library for haxe

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Well, it would be good to have a "current" extension that is the go-to extension? I'm not saying we should trim the branches of our amazing community, just that it's good to have a base for newbies who expect things to be included?

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
On the extending the standard API front, XAPI does that. These are the
additions / shortcuts over the standard API (last time I checked):

https://github.com/zarate/xapi/wiki/Additions-to-the-official-API

Or the full API here:

http://lib.haxe.org/d/xapi/0.3/

I've not pushed much lately but mostly because I use XAPI quite a lot
and it's been working great for me.

HTH!

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Russell Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Caffeine-hx is my little project, although I wouldn't currently call
> it "taken care of"... more like "parked" at the moment. There was some
> code that was about to be added to the filesystem/file io, but I lost
> a raid last year, and finally just found the backup last week. (not
> that I was looking too hard)
>
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> PrimeVC: looks more to be a Flash MVC no?
>> caffeine-hx: This does add some useful things to "File" ie "append", but
>> alas nothing to FileSystem.
>>
>> As a community do we then go to the people working on caffeine and put in
>> requests for additions such as "createDirectoryRecursive" / submit to them
>> our hacks for it?
>> Who is it who takes care of caffeine-hx anyway?
>>

>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321">+61 3 8060 5321
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Danny Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> caffeine-hx

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv