Best library for multiplatform graphics

Jordo Odroj
Hello,

I was curious what people feel is the best library for ultimate cross-platformness. I'd like to be able to write graphics code that will work in IE7+/FF/Chrome. Being able to compile to flash is a plus, but not needed. Ideally it would compile to HTML5/canvas or svg, depending on what the browser supports.

Jordo

Re: Best library for multiplatform graphics

Jason O'Neil
Have you had a look at Raphaël?

http://raphaeljs.com/

From their website:

Raphaël uses the SVG W3C Recommendation and VML as a base for creating graphics. This means every graphical object you create is also a DOM object, so you can attach JavaScript event handlers or modify them later. Raphaël’s goal is to provide an adapter that will make drawing vector art compatible cross-browser and easy.

Raphaël currently supports Firefox 3.0+, Safari 3.0+, Chrome 5.0+, Opera 9.5+ and Internet Explorer 6.0+.

It probably wouldn't be hard to write an extern for if you want to use it with haxe / js. Might be a bit slow if you're hoping to use it for games and stuff, but for simple vector graphics it's great.

Jason

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Jordo Odroj <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I was curious what people feel is the best library for ultimate cross-platformness. I'd like to be able to write graphics code that will work in IE7+/FF/Chrome. Being able to compile to flash is a plus, but not needed. Ideally it would compile to HTML5/canvas or svg, depending on what the browser supports.

Jordo

Re: Best library for multiplatform graphics

Jordo Odroj
Yes, that's the one I'm considering, as someone has already made the bindings anyways.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Jason O'Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you had a look at Raphaël?

http://raphaeljs.com/

>From their website:

Raphaël uses the SVG W3C Recommendation and VML as a base for creating graphics. This means every graphical object you create is also a DOM object, so you can attach JavaScript event handlers or modify them later. Raphaël’s goal is to provide an adapter that will make drawing vector art compatible cross-browser and easy.

Raphaël currently supports Firefox 3.0+, Safari 3.0+, Chrome 5.0+, Opera 9.5+ and Internet Explorer 6.0+.

It probably wouldn't be hard to write an extern for if you want to use it with haxe / js. Might be a bit slow if you're hoping to use it for games and stuff, but for simple vector graphics it's great.

Jason

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Jordo Odroj <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I was curious what people feel is the best library for ultimate cross-platformness. I'd like to be able to write graphics code that will work in IE7+/FF/Chrome. Being able to compile to flash is a plus, but not needed. Ideally it would compile to HTML5/canvas or svg, depending on what the browser supports.

Jordo

Re: Best library for multiplatform graphics

Justin Donaldson-3
You might also check out Franco's udraw:

http://code.google.com/p/udraw/

It currently has bindings for cairo graphics, javascript, and flash.

-Justin

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Jordo Odroj <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, that's the one I'm considering, as someone has already made the bindings anyways.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Jason O'Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you had a look at Raphaël?

http://raphaeljs.com/

>From their website:

Raphaël uses the SVG W3C Recommendation and VML as a base for creating graphics. This means every graphical object you create is also a DOM object, so you can attach JavaScript event handlers or modify them later. Raphaël’s goal is to provide an adapter that will make drawing vector art compatible cross-browser and easy.

Raphaël currently supports Firefox 3.0+, Safari 3.0+, Chrome 5.0+, Opera 9.5+ and Internet Explorer 6.0+.

It probably wouldn't be hard to write an extern for if you want to use it with haxe / js. Might be a bit slow if you're hoping to use it for games and stuff, but for simple vector graphics it's great.

Jason

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Jordo Odroj <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I was curious what people feel is the best library for ultimate cross-platformness. I'd like to be able to write graphics code that will work in IE7+/FF/Chrome. Being able to compile to flash is a plus, but not needed. Ideally it would compile to HTML5/canvas or svg, depending on what the browser supports.

Jordo

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald