Anyone use Growl?

Jason Plum
Hey Everyone,

I've worked with the GrowlForWindows project for a bit now, and have a set of classes for handling the GNTP protocol (currently in dev builds on Mac). I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in it? I have what I need from it, however I need to do some cleanup and documentation before I go showing that poor child the light of day. It's currently supporting neko, cpp, php, and flash (when local [ty sandboxing], so would go nicely with SWHX).

Maximus*
WarheadsSE
MaxSource

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Benjamin Dasnois
That's a very good thing! Growl and notifications generally speaking
are an important part of the OS integration. This may be of use for a
lot of people.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Jason Plum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
> I've worked with the GrowlForWindows project for a bit now, and have a set
> of classes for handling the GNTP protocol (currently in dev builds on Mac).
> I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in it? I have what I
> need from it, however I need to do some cleanup and documentation before I
> go showing that poor child the light of day. It's currently supporting neko,
> cpp, php, and flash (when local [ty sandboxing], so would go nicely with
> SWHX).
> Cheers
> --
> Maximus*
> WarheadsSE
> MaxSource

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Ian Thomas
I agree - Growl support would be great.

Ian

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Benjamin Dasnois
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's a very good thing! Growl and notifications generally speaking
> are an important part of the OS integration. This may be of use for a
> lot of people.
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Jason Plum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Everyone,
>> I've worked with the GrowlForWindows project for a bit now, and have a set
>> of classes for handling the GNTP protocol (currently in dev builds on Mac).
>> I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in it? I have what I
>> need from it, however I need to do some cleanup and documentation before I
>> go showing that poor child the light of day. It's currently supporting neko,
>> cpp, php, and flash (when local [ty sandboxing], so would go nicely with
>> SWHX).
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Maximus*
>> WarheadsSE
>> MaxSource

> DASNOIS Benjamin
> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Baluta Cristian
I have Growl, it comes with Adium, i generally use it with Adium.
I don't understand what you want to do exactly, can you explain how will work with haxe?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a very good thing! Growl and notifications generally speaking
> are an important part of the OS integration. This may be of use for a
> lot of people.
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Jason Plum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Everyone,
>> I've worked with the GrowlForWindows project for a bit now, and have a set
>> of classes for handling the GNTP protocol (currently in dev builds on Mac).
>> I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in it? I have what I
>> need from it, however I need to do some cleanup and documentation before I
>> go showing that poor child the light of day. It's currently supporting neko,
>> cpp, php, and flash (when local [ty sandboxing], so would go nicely with
>> SWHX).
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Maximus*
>> WarheadsSE
>> MaxSource

> DASNOIS Benjamin
> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Jason Plum
The developers of Growl and GrowlForWindows came up with the Growl Notification Transport Protocol or GNTP. It can be used as in interface to local and remote instances of Growl on both Windows and Mac, where the Growl instance supports GNTP/1.0+. It can be used then by any program/system that might like to take advantage of the already provided notification framework (that happens to also be nicely centralized and user pre-preferenced already) with cross-platform compatibility.

I personally will be using it for a mix of network updates and software update notifications in relation to the game that I own and operate. I see good use in it also for anyone that might like to say, create a twitter desktop, a server monitor, even an rss reader. Be those things in any of the languages provided as targets for haXe, they could benefit from this library. I did it essentially for my own gain, as well as learning haXe (ask poor Nicolas I pelted him with socket issues while I figured out the ins and outs). Of course, I then realized that quite possibly someone might like to make use of the functionality. (After I clean the poor childs face ;) )

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a very good thing! Growl and notifications generally speaking
> are an important part of the OS integration. This may be of use for a
> lot of people.
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Jason Plum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Everyone,
>> I've worked with the GrowlForWindows project for a bit now, and have a set
>> of classes for handling the GNTP protocol (currently in dev builds on Mac).
>> I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in it? I have what I
>> need from it, however I need to do some cleanup and documentation before I
>> go showing that poor child the light of day. It's currently supporting neko,
>> cpp, php, and flash (when local [ty sandboxing], so would go nicely with
>> SWHX).
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Maximus*
>> WarheadsSE
>> MaxSource

> DASNOIS Benjamin
> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Maximus*
WarheadsSE
MaxSource

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Juan Delgado
I think it can't hurt anyone : )

Might be a nice addition to the next HippoHX release (due some day!).

Juan

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Jason Plum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The developers of Growl and GrowlForWindows came up with the Growl
> Notification Transport Protocol or GNTP. It can be used as in interface to
> local and remote instances of Growl on both Windows and Mac, where the Growl
> instance supports GNTP/1.0+. It can be used then by any program/system that
> might like to take advantage of the already provided notification framework
> (that happens to also be nicely centralized and user pre-preferenced
> already) with cross-platform compatibility.
> I personally will be using it for a mix of network updates and software
> update notifications in relation to the game that I own and operate. I see
> good use in it also for anyone that might like to say, create a twitter
> desktop, a server monitor, even an rss reader. Be those things in any of the
> languages provided as targets for haXe, they could benefit from this
> library. I did it essentially for my own gain, as well as learning haXe (ask
> poor Nicolas I pelted him with socket issues while I figured out the ins and
> outs). Of course, I then realized that quite possibly someone might like to
> make use of the functionality. (After I clean the poor childs face ;) )
>

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have Growl, it comes with Adium, i generally use it with Adium.
>> I don't understand what you want to do exactly, can you explain how will
>> work with haxe?
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Ian Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree - Growl support would be great.
>>>
>>> Ian

>> Băluță Cristian
>> http://ralcr.com
>> http://imagin.ro

> Maximus*
> WarheadsSE
> MaxSource

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Jason Plum
Alright, since there is some interest, I'll even spend the time to put together a proper implementation of it from the original GfW sources translated to haxe.

I'll let you guys know when I have a working client implementation. Note however, if anyone knows of a good ( and haxe 2.0.4 compatible ) implementation of AES, DES, or 3DES that can be used for all available platforms aside from JS, please, do let me know :)

I know I've got a few functions coded up to mash behavior I need from Md5 on all platforms.

Jason

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Nicolas Cannasse
Jason Plum a écrit :
> Alright, since there is some interest, I'll even spend the time to put
> together a proper implementation of it from the original GfW sources
> translated to haxe.
>
> I'll let you guys know when I have a working client implementation. Note
> however, if anyone knows of a good ( and haxe 2.0.4 compatible )
> implementation of AES, DES, or 3DES that can be used for all available
> platforms aside from JS, please, do let me know :)

I only have Adler32, Crc32 and RC4 in hxformat library (in format.tools)

If you write them using an api which is compatible with hxformat, it
might be good to add them there in some "crypto" package.

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Jason Plum
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jason Plum a écrit :

Alright, since there is some interest, I'll even spend the time to put together a proper implementation of it from the original GfW sources translated to haxe.

I'll let you guys know when I have a working client implementation. Note however, if anyone knows of a good ( and haxe 2.0.4 compatible ) implementation of AES, DES, or 3DES that can be used for all available platforms aside from JS, please, do let me know :)

I only have Adler32, Crc32 and RC4 in hxformat library (in format.tools)

If you write them using an api which is compatible with hxformat, it might be good to add them there in some "crypto" package.

Nicolas

Nicolas,

While I have seen this, and wish I could make use of them, the GTNP protocol handles the following :
Hash types : MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA512
Encryption Types : AES, DES, 3DES all in CBC mode.

I have seen that the caffeine-hx project provides implementations of AES however, I've had a bit of a time trying to get just that part out and updated without polluting required namespaces or limiting it to neko. I will continue to search for implementations that can be nice transfered into multi-target libraries.

Jason

PS - Touching up some example code, and then I'll get a hxlib out sometime in the next 24 hours or so.

PPS- In the event I haven't said it before, and I'm fairly certain I have, but I'll say it again: TY Nicolas for haxe and for the support during my learning curve :)

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Jason Plum
Ok everyone  interested : I've submitted the library to haxelib :) You will find it under hxGrowl. I apologize but I do not have access to upload the sources to a hosted domain while at work, so that will have to come at a later date.

Just happy I can contribute,

Jason

Re: Anyone use Growl?

Jason Plum
Bump, apologies...

Has anyone used/toyed/tested it out?

I've got a more refined version on its way and was looking for any feedback before I just dumped a new one out there.

TYIA