Any plans for XFL?

Juan Delgado
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has any plans regarding XFL. First thing
that comes to my mind is both SamHaxe and SWFmill. Any plans for
supporting XFL, at least partially? I mean at least being able to
compile XFL files using SWFMill or SamHaxe.

Another interesting thing would be writing a diff tool for XFL files
to compare 2 XFL files same as we compare text files. Maybe adding XFL
to hxformat would be a nice first step?

Last but not least an Open Source Flash IDE, but that is much easier
said than done.

BTW, I've been looking for the XFL specs but apparently they haven't
been released yet. If anybody knows anything about them, please share!

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: Any plans for XFL?

jlm@justinfront.net
Juan

 From my understanding XFL is a zip format like SWC with XML
description and graphics assets.  XFL works closely with FXG.

FXG information is widely avaliable as it's part of flex4 which is
opensource ( ish ? ), you can find spec's on FXG here

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/FXG+2.0+Specification

FXG is based loosely or relates closely with the opensource project
Degrafa... so it would maybe make more sense to adopt Degrafa I think
it may not be too hard to create conversion tools between Degrafa and
XFL, but essentially from an open view point while flex may have some
open aspects I think Degrafa might be a better choice as it does not
tie haXe too tightly to Adobe release iterations.

http://code.google.com/p/degrafa/

XFL looks extremely similar to Degrafa.

http://jameswhittaker.com/journal/skinning-flex-with-degrafa-and-fxg/

I think a project based on using Degrafa with haXe would be a good
idea and I would be interested in helping although I have no idea if
Degrafa is a good implementation or if it is too bloated - someone
more technical may have opinions on that aspect.

Cheers

;j

On 18 Apr 2010, at 13:33, Juan Delgado wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any plans regarding XFL. First thing
> that comes to my mind is both SamHaxe and SWFmill. Any plans for
> supporting XFL, at least partially? I mean at least being able to
> compile XFL files using SWFMill or SamHaxe.
>
> Another interesting thing would be writing a diff tool for XFL files
> to compare 2 XFL files same as we compare text files. Maybe adding XFL
> to hxformat would be a nice first step?
>
> Last but not least an Open Source Flash IDE, but that is much easier
> said than done.
>
> BTW, I've been looking for the XFL specs but apparently they haven't
> been released yet. If anybody knows anything about them, please share!

> Juan Delgado - Zárate
> http://zarate.tv
> http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: Any plans for XFL?

jlm@justinfront.net

On 18 Apr 2010, at 14:17, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:

> XFL looks extremely similar to Degrafa.

I mean

FXG looks extremely similar to Degrafa.

Re: Any plans for XFL?

Juan Delgado
Hi Justin and thanks for the FXG + Degrafa info. I read about them
time ago, but never really followed!

Ok, so if the graphical stuff inside XFL is based on XFG, then that
covers quite a bit of XFL, but I guess there's more. Things like
publish settings, scenes, library...

About Degrafa vs XFG... not sure what to think. I see your point on
not depending too much on Adobe's cycles but, since XFL is controlled
by Adobe, you are at they will anyway.

I kind of hope that XFL would lead at some point to an Open Source
Flash IDE. I'm not particularly interested in such a tool per-se, only
because an open IDE allows people to use the tool of their choice, in
my case, Linux. As some people pointed out not long ago, the Flash IDE
is not that bad for doing layouts or simply it is the only thing many
designers know. Fully supporting XFL seems the first step to go on
that direction.

I have no doubt that Degrafa is very interesting, but since Adobe
chose XFG, that's what we need *if* we want to be compatible with
them. I'm just guessing but if XFG is 80-90% as good as Degrafa, I
reckon it will "survive" between the two. Survive in the sense that
most tools would be XFG compatible, because it's the official choice
and supporting one standard is hard enough.

Juan