Android Scripting?

jlm@justinfront.net
I bought a nexus recently and final received it, I was wondering if I
can use haXe on it.

I am told ocaml can compile on it, so I wondered if haXe and neko
could be compiled to run.
I believe there might be an opera mobile that can play flash 9 but not
sure.
Also I noticed this project... http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
  ... which has lua and javascript
and I think people are using c++ on it.
whats the java port status?

Originally I received an empty box... rather than a phone so its been
a hassle to sort out, so while it would be great to experiment... I am
reluctant to root it after such issues, anyone rooted there's... any
side effects?

Cheers

;j

Re: [haXe] Android Scripting?

Pimm Hogeling
Franco Ponticelli told me Benjamin Dasnois is working on an Android target.

I would like to say that my team is interested in porting, if you can call it that, some applications to both Android and iPhone. Though my Java-kungfu is less notable than my haXe skills, I am willing to help out as much as I can to make the Android target happen. Do you hear that, Benjamin?

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 23:59, Justin Lawerance Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
I bought a nexus recently and final received it, I was wondering if I can use haXe on it.

I am told ocaml can compile on it, so I wondered if haXe and neko could be compiled to run.
I believe there might be an opera mobile that can play flash 9 but not sure.
Also I noticed this project... http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/ ... which has lua and javascript
and I think people are using c++ on it.
whats the java port status?

Originally I received an empty box... rather than a phone so its been a hassle to sort out, so while it would be great to experiment... I am reluctant to root it after such issues, anyone rooted there's... any side effects?

Cheers

;j

Re: [haXe] Android Scripting?

jlm@justinfront.net
Pimm

Sounds good.  What's your thoughts on if I need to root...

I think the Ocaml link is the most interesting, I guess I need to root for that?

But if we have Ocaml running native can we create a neko installer that others can download to run haXe apps?

Cheers

;j

On 25 Jan 2010, at 23:14, Pimm Hogeling wrote:

[...]

blackdog-2

Possibly another good reason to get the haxe standard libs working with
V8.

http://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2009/11/06/android-v8.html

bd

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 22:59 +0000, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:

> I bought a nexus recently and final received it, I was wondering if I
> can use haXe on it.
>
> I am told ocaml can compile on it, so I wondered if haXe and neko
> could be compiled to run.
> I believe there might be an opera mobile that can play flash 9 but not
> sure.
> Also I noticed this project... http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
>   ... which has lua and javascript
> and I think people are using c++ on it.
> whats the java port status?
>
> Originally I received an empty box... rather than a phone so its been
> a hassle to sort out, so while it would be great to experiment... I am
> reluctant to root it after such issues, anyone rooted there's... any
> side effects?
>

> Cheers
>
> ;j

Re: [haXe] Android Scripting?

Benjamin Dasnois
Hello,

Yes I'm working on a haXe/Java target, with the goal of having the
Android's as target too. But the fact is that Java is such a
statically typed thing that it's really difficult to correctly
implement all of the dynamic behaviors from haXe.

I think there are quite a lot of people who are interested in it but
not much help apart from one or two persons.

Regards,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Possibly another good reason to get the haxe standard libs working with
> V8.
>
> http://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2009/11/06/android-v8.html
>
> bd
>
> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 22:59 +0000, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:
>> I bought a nexus recently and final received it, I was wondering if I
>> can use haXe on it.
>>
>> I am told ocaml can compile on it, so I wondered if haXe and neko
>> could be compiled to run.
>> I believe there might be an opera mobile that can play flash 9 but not
>> sure.
>> Also I noticed this project... http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
>>   ... which has lua and javascript
>> and I think people are using c++ on it.
>> whats the java port status?
>>
>> Originally I received an empty box... rather than a phone so its been
>> a hassle to sort out, so while it would be great to experiment... I am
>> reluctant to root it after such issues, anyone rooted there's... any
>> side effects?
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> ;j

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: [haXe] Android Scripting?

Simon Richardson
Hi,

Is there a list of what is needed to be done (other than[1])? It could be beneficial, as it would help see what was needed so I could help.

si

[1] http://code.google.com/p/haxejava/issues/list

On 26 Jan 2010, at 08:39, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes I'm working on a haXe/Java target, with the goal of having the
> Android's as target too. But the fact is that Java is such a
> statically typed thing that it's really difficult to correctly
> implement all of the dynamic behaviors from haXe.
>
> I think there are quite a lot of people who are interested in it but
> not much help apart from one or two persons.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Possibly another good reason to get the haxe standard libs working with
>> V8.
>>
>> http://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2009/11/06/android-v8.html
>>
>> bd
>>
>> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 22:59 +0000, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:
>>> I bought a nexus recently and final received it, I was wondering if I
>>> can use haXe on it.
>>>
>>> I am told ocaml can compile on it, so I wondered if haXe and neko
>>> could be compiled to run.
>>> I believe there might be an opera mobile that can play flash 9 but not
>>> sure.
>>> Also I noticed this project... http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
>>>   ... which has lua and javascript
>>> and I think people are using c++ on it.
>>> whats the java port status?
>>>
>>> Originally I received an empty box... rather than a phone so its been
>>> a hassle to sort out, so while it would be great to experiment... I am
>>> reluctant to root it after such issues, anyone rooted there's... any
>>> side effects?
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> ;j

> DASNOIS Benjamin
> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: [haXe] Android Scripting?

clemos
Hi

I don't have much time right now, but I've been kind of working on an
haXe => Javascript/Rhino => Java target last year.
Among other dirty hacks with JS/Rhino, I have implemented an haXe
extern generator for Java classes via Javadoc/Xml, that was more or
less working since I managed to generate working extern classes for
Red5 and all dependencies...
If you're interested, I can put all these stuff "as is" on github some day.
By the way, I'd be interested in seeing your work, even if I'm not
such a Java nor haXe guru...

Regards,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Benjamin Dasnois
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes I'm working on a haXe/Java target, with the goal of having the
> Android's as target too. But the fact is that Java is such a
> statically typed thing that it's really difficult to correctly
> implement all of the dynamic behaviors from haXe.
>
> I think there are quite a lot of people who are interested in it but
> not much help apart from one or two persons.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Possibly another good reason to get the haxe standard libs working with
>> V8.
>>
>> http://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2009/11/06/android-v8.html
>>
>> bd
>>
>> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 22:59 +0000, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:
>>> I bought a nexus recently and final received it, I was wondering if I
>>> can use haXe on it.
>>>
>>> I am told ocaml can compile on it, so I wondered if haXe and neko
>>> could be compiled to run.
>>> I believe there might be an opera mobile that can play flash 9 but not
>>> sure.
>>> Also I noticed this project... http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
>>>   ... which has lua and javascript
>>> and I think people are using c++ on it.
>>> whats the java port status?
>>>
>>> Originally I received an empty box... rather than a phone so its been
>>> a hassle to sort out, so while it would be great to experiment... I am
>>> reluctant to root it after such issues, anyone rooted there's... any
>>> side effects?
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> ;j

> DASNOIS Benjamin
> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: [haXe] Android Scripting?

Michiel Crefcoeur
I was planning on writing an extern class generator for the Rhino target!
I'd be very interested in it, is it also written in haXe?
I'm also working on Rhino support among other Javascript targets, maybe we could join our efforts.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes I'm working on a haXe/Java target, with the goal of having the
> Android's as target too. But the fact is that Java is such a
> statically typed thing that it's really difficult to correctly
> implement all of the dynamic behaviors from haXe.
>
> I think there are quite a lot of people who are interested in it but
> not much help apart from one or two persons.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Possibly another good reason to get the haxe standard libs working with
>> V8.
>>
>> http://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2009/11/06/android-v8.html
>>
>> bd
>>
>> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 22:59 +0000, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:
>>> I bought a nexus recently and final received it, I was wondering if I
>>> can use haXe on it.
>>>
>>> I am told ocaml can compile on it, so I wondered if haXe and neko
>>> could be compiled to run.
>>> I believe there might be an opera mobile that can play flash 9 but not
>>> sure.
>>> Also I noticed this project... http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
>>>   ... which has lua and javascript
>>> and I think people are using c++ on it.
>>> whats the java port status?
>>>
>>> Originally I received an empty box... rather than a phone so its been
>>> a hassle to sort out, so while it would be great to experiment... I am
>>> reluctant to root it after such issues, anyone rooted there's... any
>>> side effects?
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> ;j

> DASNOIS Benjamin
> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Android Scripting?

Benjamin

I was researching android graphics/interface to put together the tools
I need to be able to do visually what I can do in flash... I think it
will take a long time as they don't really organise stuff in away that
suits my thought processes.  Anyway I came across mention of a visual
editor... "App Inventor" apparently only available to Universities,
maybe I should do a course :) anyway apparently google are using KAWA
to make it.

KAWA - http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/index.html

What is interesting is that it has solved some of the issues of
compiling dynamic languages into Java bytecode so I was wondering if
you Java port people had looked at using it?

I was also thinking it might be interesting to make a visual editor
for android layouts that creates the XML like the App Inventor ( or
blend does for XAML ) but do it using haXe flash.

Cheers

;j

On 26 Jan 2010, at 08:39, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes I'm working on a haXe/Java target, with the goal of having the
> Android's as target too. But the fact is that Java is such a
> statically typed thing that it's really difficult to correctly
> implement all of the dynamic behaviors from haXe.
>
> I think there are quite a lot of people who are interested in it but
> not much help apart from one or two persons.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM, blackdog <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Possibly another good reason to get the haxe standard libs working
>> with
>> V8.
>>
>> http://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2009/11/06/android-v8.html
>>
>> bd
>>
>> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 22:59 +0000, Justin Lawerance Mills wrote:
>>> I bought a nexus recently and final received it, I was wondering
>>> if I
>>> can use haXe on it.
>>>
>>> I am told ocaml can compile on it, so I wondered if haXe and neko
>>> could be compiled to run.
>>> I believe there might be an opera mobile that can play flash 9 but
>>> not
>>> sure.
>>> Also I noticed this project... http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
>>>   ... which has lua and javascript
>>> and I think people are using c++ on it.
>>> whats the java port status?
>>>
>>> Originally I received an empty box... rather than a phone so its
>>> been
>>> a hassle to sort out, so while it would be great to experiment...
>>> I am
>>> reluctant to root it after such issues, anyone rooted there's... any
>>> side effects?
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> ;j

> DASNOIS Benjamin
> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Android Scripting?

Tony Polinelli
first dumb thought that comes to mind- if app inventor creates XML,
then couldnt you just use that as your visual editor?

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Justin Lawerance Mills
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benjamin
>
> I was researching android graphics/interface to put together the tools I
> need to be able to do visually what I can do in flash... I think it will
> take a long time as they don't really organise stuff in away that suits my
> thought processes.  Anyway I came across mention of a visual editor... "App
> Inventor" apparently only available to Universities, maybe I should do a
> course :) anyway apparently google are using KAWA to make it.
>
> KAWA - http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/index.html
>
> What is interesting is that it has solved some of the issues of compiling
> dynamic languages into Java bytecode so I was wondering if you Java port
> people had looked at using it?
>
> I was also thinking it might be interesting to make a visual editor for
> android layouts that creates the XML like the App Inventor ( or blend does
> for XAML ) but do it using haXe flash.
>

> Cheers
>
> ;j
>

> On 26 Jan 2010, at 08:39, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Yes I'm working on a haXe/Java target, with the goal of having the
>> Android's as target too. But the fact is that Java is such a
>> statically typed thing that it's really difficult to correctly
>> implement all of the dynamic behaviors from haXe.
>>
>> I think there are quite a lot of people who are interested in it but
>> not much help apart from one or two persons.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM, blackdog <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Possibly another good reason to get the haxe standard libs working with
>>> V8.
>>>
>>> http://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2009/11/06/android-v8.html
>>>
>>> bd

>> DASNOIS Benjamin
>> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Android Scripting?

jlm@justinfront.net
>  Justin wrote: ....only available to Universities  ...

No it's not released to the public.  Some of the documentation videos
and tutorials are, but the software is only available to students and
researchers at universities.

On 30 Jan 2010, at 20:39, Tony Polinelli wrote:

> first dumb thought that comes to mind- if app inventor creates XML,
> then couldnt you just use that as your visual editor?
>

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Justin Lawerance Mills
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Benjamin
>>
>> I was researching android graphics/interface to put together the
>> tools I
>> need to be able to do visually what I can do in flash... I think it
>> will
>> take a long time as they don't really organise stuff in away that
>> suits my
>> thought processes.  Anyway I came across mention of a visual
>> editor... "App
>> Inventor" apparently only available to Universities, maybe I should
>> do a
>> course :) anyway apparently google are using KAWA to make it.
>>
>> KAWA - http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/index.html
>>
>> What is interesting is that it has solved some of the issues of
>> compiling
>> dynamic languages into Java bytecode so I was wondering if you Java
>> port
>> people had looked at using it?
>>
>> I was also thinking it might be interesting to make a visual editor
>> for
>> android layouts that creates the XML like the App Inventor ( or
>> blend does
>> for XAML ) but do it using haXe flash.
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> ;j
>>

>> On 26 Jan 2010, at 08:39, Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Yes I'm working on a haXe/Java target, with the goal of having the
>>> Android's as target too. But the fact is that Java is such a
>>> statically typed thing that it's really difficult to correctly
>>> implement all of the dynamic behaviors from haXe.
>>>
>>> I think there are quite a lot of people who are interested in it but
>>> not much help apart from one or two persons.
>>>
>>> Regards,

>>> --
>>> DASNOIS Benjamin
>>> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: Android Scripting?

Recently I heard about phonegap, since it is javascript based so I
presume a haXe based version phonegapHx would be a good idea?  Not
offering to make one but just seemed interesting since they seem to
share the same philosophy as haXe in terms of write once run
everywhere.  Does anyone have any thoughts on such a project is it one
we should be looking at as it would allow haXe dev on iPhone with
least investment in developing new libraries?

Cheers

;j

Re: Android Scripting?

jlm@justinfront.net
> Recently I heard about phonegap, since it is javascript based so I
> presume a haXe based version phonegapHx would be a good idea?  Not
> offering to make one but just seemed interesting since they seem to
> share the same philosophy as haXe in terms of write once run
> everywhere.  Does anyone have any thoughts on such a project is it
> one we should be looking at as it would allow haXe dev on all phones
> with least investment in developing new libraries?
>
> Cheers

Fixed typo above.