Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Niel Drummond-3
I don't think jeash is very useful for replicating flash games, as they are programmed nowadays (similarly I don't think Adobe is doing an as3 -> js compiler). Jeash is useful for other things, but that is not why I am posting.

One shouldn't expect that all code written for flash will work equally well in another environment (this seems to be the normal expectation here in the haxe community, incl. the benchmarks I see.. IMO a bit ridiculous).

Fast games for javascript should take advantage of low level access to propriety or experimental features such as CSS3 translations, transitions and animations or webgl, many are either not really possible within the flash API, or are programmed differently than in regular flash, or suffer from lack of browser support / stability.

Javascript VMs optimise on a different programming paradigm, it's possible that Adobe can capitalize on it, but i don't think it will be along the same lines as AVM2.

- Niel

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd say it's nearly certain that as3 > 'html5' is coming next from Adobe.

A great opportunity to polish up nme/jeash and try to turn some press attention to it in the interim.

Is anyone working on games targeting html5 with nme we can push to showcase?

Alex

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Philippe Elsass <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's pretty obvious they are working on a JS back-end: they are working on adding a HTML target to Flash Pro.

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Jason Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

Adobe has done a lot of work with LLVM, I would dare speculate they are exploring a JS back-end… maybe have something already in development.  They have a pretty huge investment in the Flash toolset, I can’t imagine they won’t try to leverage that somehow for JS/HTML5…

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Dion Whitehead Amago
This is the same reasoning behing hydrax.

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Niel Drummond
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think jeash is very useful for replicating flash games, as they are
> programmed nowadays (similarly I don't think Adobe is doing an as3 -> js
> compiler). Jeash is useful for other things, but that is not why I am
> posting.
> One shouldn't expect that all code written for flash will work equally well
> in another environment (this seems to be the normal expectation here in the
> haxe community, incl. the benchmarks I see.. IMO a bit ridiculous).
> Fast games for javascript should take advantage of low level access to
> propriety or experimental features such as CSS3 translations, transitions
> and animations or webgl, many are either not really possible within the
> flash API, or are programmed differently than in regular flash, or suffer
> from lack of browser support / stability.
> Javascript VMs optimise on a different programming paradigm, it's possible
> that Adobe can capitalize on it, but i don't think it will be along the same
> lines as AVM2.
> - Niel
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'd say it's nearly certain that as3 > 'html5' is coming next from Adobe.
>> A great opportunity to polish up nme/jeash and try to turn some press
>> attention to it in the interim.
>> Is anyone working on games targeting html5 with nme we can push to
>> showcase?
>> Alex
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Philippe Elsass
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's pretty obvious they are working on a JS back-end: they are working
>>> on adding a HTML target to Flash Pro.

Alex Liebert
I don't disagree with you, but would love clarification.

Is it your opinion that Jeash (or whatever we call an NME html5 target) is not able to be better optimized using similar pathways?  HTML5 is kinda wonky across browsers as it is, but my flash game (though fairly simple) performs excellently with NME HTML5 target.

Alex

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Niel Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> _______________________
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/09/2011 03:51 AM, Justin Donaldson wrote:
>>>
>>> No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226
>>>
>>> Not a good sign for the AVM.
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>

>>> It seems like it's a great shot in the arm for haXe. How else could you start to migrate off of a dying platform, giving yourself scope for the future on multiple others and retain and leverage part of your existing skillset?

>>> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Philippe

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Daniel Wasilewski
Hehe. really? Don't be naive. If they have so long and accurate plans
and estimation why they even started to make Mobile Flash 3 years ago if
they knew they going to drop it 3 years after ;). True is nobody knows
what future brings witin next 5 years in IT. Don't forget they acquired
Macromedia just 6 years ago. They even didn't dreamed of todays
situation. The guy who published this announcement begins his career
just 3 years ago. Before was a salesman LOL. Despite of opinion witch
technology should be for what job, Adobe made pretty bad move and from
PR point of view screwed massive amount of the loyal customers and
members of community. I will predict the future for next 10 years as
well. Also have long plans ;)

No Flash, No Adobe either. Game over with this move and they already
feel damage 10% market drop.

For haXe it might be good opportunity to think of robust AS3 -> html5
solution to fill the game Adobe left behind.

Daniel

Le 09/11/2011 08:22, David Peek a écrit :
> I'm not a Flash fan boy anymore, promise. We Haxe developers laugh at
> these mere mortals and their petty platform wars ;)

Followup ;)
http://ncannasse.fr/blog/flash_is_dead_again

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't disagree with you, but would love clarification.

Is it your opinion that Jeash (or whatever we call an NME html5 target) is not able to be better optimized using similar pathways?  HTML5 is kinda wonky across browsers as it is, but my flash game (though fairly simple) performs excellently with NME HTML5 target.

Jeash already uses propriety CSS3 translations, if your games do not draw continuously to the canvas layer, then your game will be fast.

CSS3 animation and transitions are difficult to replicate directly into the flash API, as they are effects engines, implementing them would mean developing them into a tweening library and adding some hooks into the underlying jeash canvas layers. In my tests, performance is very good here, but it doesn't get you better pixel manipulation, which is common in the flash API.

There used to be a webgl rendering pipeline in jeash (and is now removed) - some things were faster and other things were not. Many modern browsers use your GPU card to render html tags, and the support for this is much more prevalent and stable than the current webgl standard.

- Niel

RE: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Jason Foster
I know from my experience with Haxe that it has the potential to fill in
where Adobe is backing down on, and that is to become THE ubiquitous
language and common API for desktop/mobile app development, whether that be
games or business applications or whatever.  In your blog you state Haxe is
a language without its own platform, which is not a bad thing because huge
resources go into platforms and Haxe simply can’t compete with that.  What
Haxe can do is identify the commonality among all the mainstream platforms,
and come up with one common API to code against that will work on AVM2,
JS/HTML5, iOS, etc.  This would require some sort of meta-platform
abstraction layer, might be mission impossible, but it's looking more doable
every day.

>From a developers' perspective, being able to learn one language and one
common API (just like ActionScript/Flash) and target the widest market
possible is a huge blessing, the value of which can’t be overstated, and I
think this has been your general objective and philosophy all along.

Cheers,

Jason

Le 09/11/2011 08:22, David Peek a écrit :
> I'm not a Flash fan boy anymore, promise. We Haxe developers laugh at
> these mere mortals and their petty platform wars ;)

Followup ;)
http://ncannasse.fr/blog/flash_is_dead_again

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

David Peek-2
Great post –  can I claim I inspired it? ;)

I think it's at the core of why we all love Haxe. All of a sudden you are able to look at platforms objectively – as nothing but a list of features, benefits and drawbacks. If your main justification for choosing one technology over another is familiarity, you're doing it wrong.

Now, if only we could all stop being such Haxe fan boys :P

dp

On 13/11/2011, at 7:42 PM, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Le 09/11/2011 08:22, David Peek a écrit :
>> I'm not a Flash fan boy anymore, promise. We Haxe developers laugh at
>> these mere mortals and their petty platform wars ;)
>
> Followup ;)
> http://ncannasse.fr/blog/flash_is_dead_again
>
> Best,

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Jason O'Neil-2
Now, if only we could all stop being such Haxe fan boys :P

Hard not to be sometimes :)

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Baluta Cristian
More interesting news about flex this time http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/11/flex-adandoned
And not sure you've read what Mike Chambers says: http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2011/11/11/clarifications-on-flash-player-for-mobile-browsers-the-flash-platform-and-the-future-of-flash/

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Jason O'Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now, if only we could all stop being such Haxe fan boys :P

Hard not to be sometimes :)

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I spoke to one of the Evangelists at Adobe, and he admitted they made a little of a faux pas in how they released the info. The biggest problem is not the drop of the plugin, but the press around it.

Truth it's not THAT awesome ATM, but it can be useful, especially when you need it. Now what do you do? Nothing! You have to write an a separate app.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
More interesting news about flex this time http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/11/flex-adandoned
And not sure you've read what Mike Chambers says: http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2011/11/11/clarifications-on-flash-player-for-mobile-browsers-the-flash-platform-and-the-future-of-flash/

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Jason O'Neil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now, if only we could all stop being such Haxe fan boys :P

Hard not to be sometimes :)

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

bubblebenj
Or it's giving some credits to the silverlight plateform, good news for MS since it's not that popular.
Not sure it would be a step forward.

Ben

alx

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

alx
"Now, if only we could all stop being such Haxe fan boys :P"

I program all my PHP now in Haxe (even small two-three lines
programs). It causes me a little brain-damage to concatenate strings
with "." .

@alx: LOL. Totally understand how you feel! I still template in PHP when doing PHP (for the power) and always get screwed by "." !

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:
"Now, if only we could all stop being such Haxe fan boys :P"

I program all my PHP now in Haxe (even small two-three lines
programs). It causes me a little brain-damage to concatenate strings
with "." .

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:18 AM, benjamin Dubois <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Or it's giving some credits to the silverlight plateform, good news for MS
> since it's not that popular.
> Not sure it would be a step forward.
> Ben
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I spoke to one of the Evangelists at Adobe, and he admitted they made a
>> little of a faux pas in how they released the info. The biggest problem is
>> not the drop of the plugin, but the press around it.
>> Truth it's not THAT awesome ATM, but it can be useful, especially when you
>> need it. Now what do you do? Nothing! You have to write an a separate app.
>>

>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>> _______________________
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321">+61 3 8060 5321
>> _______________________
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> More interesting news about flex this time
>>> http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/11/flex-adandoned
>>> And not sure you've read what Mike Chambers
>>> says: http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2011/11/11/clarifications-on-flash-player-for-mobile-browsers-the-flash-platform-and-the-future-of-flash/

>>> --
>>> Băluță Cristian
>>> http://ralcr.com
>>> http://imagin.ro

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

MarcWeber
Excerpts from Tarwin Stroh-Spijer's message of Tue Nov 15 22:04:29 +0100 2011:
> @alx: LOL. Totally understand how you feel! I still template in PHP when
> doing PHP (for the power) and always get screwed by "." !
We should get a HAML implementation working for HaXe. Would be even more
powerful than the PHP implementation I wrote ..

Are you interested in helping to implement and test it?

About 80% are already done. Its about rewriting 1000 lines of PHP in
HaXe. Only the recursive regex feature would be causing trouble.

Well - that's off topic - so either reply by private mail or start a new
thread.

Marc Weber