Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Justin Donaldson-3
No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226

Not a good sign for the AVM.

-Justin

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

David Peek-2
Isn't Air for Mobile still the Flash Platform? They're just not making browser plugins any more, which I completely agree with. At their heart native Air apps are still the AVM, right? Just OHT compiled instead of JIT compiled. That's my understanding at least.

In the end as long as Adobe can get content onto the device from the same tools they're happy. They can do much more out of the browser anyway :)

I'm not a Flash fan boy anymore, promise. We Haxe developers laugh at these mere mortals and their petty platform wars ;)

dp

On 09/11/2011, at 5:51 PM, Justin Donaldson wrote:

No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226

Not a good sign for the AVM.

-Justin

RE: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

I think this is the purpose of Edge.  It already supports a timeline.  They’re hoping to build it to the same level as Flash, then dump the Flash platform altogether, I reckon.  Of course, I could be wrong about that ;-)

Lee

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Juraj Kirchheim
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think this is the purpose of Edge.  It already supports a timeline.
> They’re hoping to build it to the same level as Flash, then dump the Flash
> platform altogether, I reckon.  Of course, I could be wrong about that ;-)

I doubt that:
1. all the efforts put into the player recently indicate otherwise.
2. on the desktop the flash player has a big market penetration,
likely a lot higher than all html5-enabled-ish browsers put together.
3. the concepts in flash are very mature, which also why it is a very
popular tool for interface mockups, or actual interfaces in games
(with scaleform) or movies (Minority Report, The Island, Star Trek all
done using flash by OOOii aka BlackBox). When designing Edge, Adobe
has the option to either just make flash concepts run on HTML5, which
will probably just be horrible, or to start creating a new concept,
streamlined for HTML5 export, and wind up with 2 products that you can
get both together for only $1000!

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Justin Donaldson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform
> development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226
>
> Not a good sign for the AVM.

Well one can hardly claim that the AVM2 has had much of an evolution
since its first release ;)

RE: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Agreed Flash has a big audience and it is mature, but companies like Adobe
have a very long business plan.  In all likelihood, they're estimating what
will be around in the next ten years so they can also still be around at
that time.  Who knows what they're thinking.  However, it's pretty obvious
that many people are moving to JS / HTML and sidestepping Flash and even M$
are looking to push it as a development platform of choice in their next
Windows, so it's a good indication that JS / HTML will be even bigger in the
coming future.  Adobe are looking to make sure they don't miss the boat, so
much of their resources is spent ensuring this.  Those resources would have
been Flash centric previously.

Again, it's a guess, but I'm thinking either Adobe are aiming to pull a big
rabbit out of their hat with something new for Flash, or JS / HTML will be
their new playground which they hope to get a big leg up before others do
the same.

Lee

--
haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

alx

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

alx
For me, HTML5 is hardly a standard; Actionscript+Flash gets you on 99%
of desktops, why not do the same on mobile?

alx

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

alx
Aside from that, HTML5 exposes your code. And that's gay if you're innovating.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For me, HTML5 is hardly a standard; Actionscript+Flash gets you on 99%
> of desktops, why not do the same on mobile?
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Agreed Flash has a big audience and it is mature, but companies like Adobe
>> have a very long business plan.  In all likelihood, they're estimating what
>> will be around in the next ten years so they can also still be around at
>> that time.  Who knows what they're thinking.  However, it's pretty obvious
>> that many people are moving to JS / HTML and sidestepping Flash and even M$
>> are looking to push it as a development platform of choice in their next
>> Windows, so it's a good indication that JS / HTML will be even bigger in the
>> coming future.  Adobe are looking to make sure they don't miss the boat, so
>> much of their resources is spent ensuring this.  Those resources would have
>> been Flash centric previously.
>>
>> Again, it's a guess, but I'm thinking either Adobe are aiming to pull a big
>> rabbit out of their hat with something new for Flash, or JS / HTML will be
>> their new playground which they hope to get a big leg up before others do
>> the same.
>>
>> Lee

http://www.slashgear.com/adobe-to-trash-flash-player-mobile-09194143/

Looks like Adobe is stopping development of Flash!

Lee

For me, HTML5 is hardly a standard; Actionscript+Flash gets you on 99% of
desktops, why not do the same on mobile?

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed Flash has a big audience and it is mature, but companies like
> Adobe have a very long business plan.  In all likelihood, they're
> estimating what will be around in the next ten years so they can also
> still be around at that time.  Who knows what they're thinking.
> However, it's pretty obvious that many people are moving to JS / HTML
> and sidestepping Flash and even M$ are looking to push it as a
> development platform of choice in their next Windows, so it's a good
> indication that JS / HTML will be even bigger in the coming future.
> Adobe are looking to make sure they don't miss the boat, so much of
> their resources is spent ensuring this.  Those resources would have been
Flash centric previously.

> Again, it's a guess, but I'm thinking either Adobe are aiming to pull
> a big rabbit out of their hat with something new for Flash, or JS /
> HTML will be their new playground which they hope to get a big leg up
> before others do the same.
>
> Lee

jamesbjackson
You can see all the ActionScript code in a Flash SWF, if you know what your doing you can decompile a Flash movie and re-use all the code, So that is not really an argument. If JavaScript is Minified it a hell of a lot more work to work to pick it part.

To be honest I personally think that a developer simply choices the right tool for the Job, be that Flash or JavaScript or whatever... But this is where I see web tech going..

Native Mobile UI application:  Objective-C (IOS) or Java (Android)
Custom Mobile Native Applications: Adobe Air, NME, Unity3D, Corona, PhoneGap, Titanium, etc..
Causal Desktop Web Gaming: Stage3D and Flash Platform or Unity3D Web Player.
Rich Desktop Web Experiences & Applications: Flash Platform, HTML5 or WebGL
Content Rich Websites: HTML5, CSS & JavaScript.
High End Web Gaming: Unity3D (Because of Flash Support & 3D IDE)

So Flash is going back to it root's which I am really pleased as a games developer flash has not improved for years until stage3d was released.. Gaming on the Web primary, this is the push for Stage3D.

HTML5 will eventually replace Flex for Web Applications as more features are added like CSS Shaders come along. So exciting times ahead... as a Web Developer we got more choice than we have had before...

Also Flash for Adobe is only a section of there business, along side Print & Design.
So we should embrace these change and learn new technologies and languages and build cool new apps :-)

Le 09/11/2011 08:22, David Peek a écrit :
> We Haxe developers laugh at
> these mere mortals and their petty platform wars ;)

Indeed.

Ah ah ah.

Re: RE: [haXe] Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Rob Fell
Yes, these press releases are being a little poetic about exactly what "Flash" is ;)

Back in the good-ol'days the Flash / FutureSplash Player was 137Kb, and any swf / spl over 5Kb was considered bloated ...
Now the balance has inverted so the AIR strategy (integrated runtime) makes much more sense than it did in 1996.

imo ...
Pro: "Flash" developers can target the latest features & latest devices independent of player adoption rates.
Con: RSLs and other atomic / adaptive code deployment no longer possible / easily viable.

Rob

On 11:59 AM, Lee Sylvester wrote:
http://www.slashgear.com/adobe-to-trash-flash-player-mobile-09194143/

Looks like Adobe is stopping development of Flash!

Lee

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

blackdog
On 11/09/2011 03:51 AM, Justin Donaldson wrote:
No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226

Not a good sign for the AVM.

-Justin

It seems like it's a great shot in the arm for haXe. How else could you start to migrate off of a dying platform, giving yourself scope for the future on multiple others and retain and leverage part of your existing skillset?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
The only thing this causes problems for is multimedia rich websites. HTML 5 isn't, and won't be for a while longer (2 years at least - waiting for IE probably) ready for this. I'm not talking about "apps". I'm talking about going to a website and have an experience.

If you tried to do the same in HTML5 you'd end up killing the device/battery even more than you do with a well developed Flash site, and you have the downside of really not knowing if it will work in THAT persons browser.

Welcome to testing x10 ! :(

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/09/2011 03:51 AM, Justin Donaldson wrote:
No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226

Not a good sign for the AVM.

-Justin

It seems like it's a great shot in the arm for haXe. How else could you start to migrate off of a dying platform, giving yourself scope for the future on multiple others and retain and leverage part of your existing skillset?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Alan Shaw-4
But is it innovating if you're gay?

On 11/9/11, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aside from that, HTML5 exposes your code. And that's gay if you're
> innovating.
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM, alx <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For me, HTML5 is hardly a standard; Actionscript+Flash gets you on 99%
>> of desktops, why not do the same on mobile?
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Agreed Flash has a big audience and it is mature, but companies like
>>> Adobe
>>> have a very long business plan.  In all likelihood, they're estimating
>>> what
>>> will be around in the next ten years so they can also still be around at
>>> that time.  Who knows what they're thinking.  However, it's pretty
>>> obvious
>>> that many people are moving to JS / HTML and sidestepping Flash and even
>>> M$
>>> are looking to push it as a development platform of choice in their next
>>> Windows, so it's a good indication that JS / HTML will be even bigger in
>>> the
>>> coming future.  Adobe are looking to make sure they don't miss the boat,
>>> so
>>> much of their resources is spent ensuring this.  Those resources would
>>> have
>>> been Flash centric previously.
>>>
>>> Again, it's a guess, but I'm thinking either Adobe are aiming to pull a
>>> big
>>> rabbit out of their hat with something new for Flash, or JS / HTML will
>>> be
>>> their new playground which they hope to get a big leg up before others do
>>> the same.
>>>
>>> Lee

Sent from my mobile device

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Alex Liebert
This is kind of nuts.

On the surface, it's not alarming.  I don't think anyone in their right mind is trying to develop applications for the -mobile web- with Flash.

I'm concerned about the news about 750 layoffs though.  Is the desktop flash browser plugin on the way out too then?

Hooray for haXe...because I'd simply never want to build a game more complex than solitaire with javascript/html in its current state.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
The only thing this causes problems for is multimedia rich websites. HTML 5 isn't, and won't be for a while longer (2 years at least - waiting for IE probably) ready for this. I'm not talking about "apps". I'm talking about going to a website and have an experience.

If you tried to do the same in HTML5 you'd end up killing the device/battery even more than you do with a well developed Flash site, and you have the downside of really not knowing if it will work in THAT persons browser.

Welcome to testing x10 ! :(

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/09/2011 03:51 AM, Justin Donaldson wrote:
No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226

Not a good sign for the AVM.

-Justin

It seems like it's a great shot in the arm for haXe. How else could you start to migrate off of a dying platform, giving yourself scope for the future on multiple others and retain and leverage part of your existing skillset?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Tony Polinelli
What's peoples bets on how long it will be before adobe releases that as3 will compile to js?

Six months?

On Thursday, November 10, 2011, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is kind of nuts.
> On the surface, it's not alarming.  I don't think anyone in their right mind is trying to develop applications for the -mobile web- with Flash.
> I'm concerned about the news about 750 layoffs though.  Is the desktop flash browser plugin on the way out too then?
> Hooray for haXe...because I'd simply never want to build a game more complex than solitaire with javascript/html in its current state.
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The only thing this causes problems for is multimedia rich websites. HTML 5 isn't, and won't be for a while longer (2 years at least - waiting for IE probably) ready for this. I'm not talking about "apps". I'm talking about going to a website and have an experience.
>> If you tried to do the same in HTML5 you'd end up killing the device/battery even more than you do with a well developed Flash site, and you have the downside of really not knowing if it will work in THAT persons browser.
>> Welcome to testing x10 ! :(
>>

>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>> _______________________
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
>> _______________________
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/09/2011 03:51 AM, Justin Donaldson wrote:
>>>
>>> No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226
>>>
>>> Not a good sign for the AVM.
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>

>>> It seems like it's a great shot in the arm for haXe. How else could you start to migrate off of a dying platform, giving yourself scope for the future on multiple others and retain and leverage part of your existing skillset?

>>> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

RE: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Jason Foster

Adobe has done a lot of work with LLVM, I would dare speculate they are exploring a JS back-end… maybe have something already in development.  They have a pretty huge investment in the Flash toolset, I can’t imagine they won’t try to leverage that somehow for JS/HTML5…

What's peoples bets on how long it will be before adobe releases that as3 will compile to js?

Six months?

On Thursday, November 10, 2011, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is kind of nuts.
> On the surface, it's not alarming.  I don't think anyone in their right mind is trying to develop applications for the -mobile web- with Flash.
> I'm concerned about the news about 750 layoffs though.  Is the desktop flash browser plugin on the way out too then?
> Hooray for haXe...because I'd simply never want to build a game more complex than solitaire with javascript/html in its current state.
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The only thing this causes problems for is multimedia rich websites. HTML 5 isn't, and won't be for a while longer (2 years at least - waiting for IE probably) ready for this. I'm not talking about "apps". I'm talking about going to a website and have an experience.
>> If you tried to do the same in HTML5 you'd end up killing the device/battery even more than you do with a well developed Flash site, and you have the downside of really not knowing if it will work in THAT persons browser.
>> Welcome to testing x10 ! :(
>>

>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>> _______________________
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
>> _______________________
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/09/2011 03:51 AM, Justin Donaldson wrote:
>>>
>>> No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226
>>>
>>> Not a good sign for the AVM.
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>

>>> It seems like it's a great shot in the arm for haXe. How else could you start to migrate off of a dying platform, giving yourself scope for the future on multiple others and retain and leverage part of your existing skillset?

>>> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Elsass Philippe
It's pretty obvious they are working on a JS back-end: they are working on adding a HTML target to Flash Pro.

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Jason Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

Adobe has done a lot of work with LLVM, I would dare speculate they are exploring a JS back-end… maybe have something already in development.  They have a pretty huge investment in the Flash toolset, I can’t imagine they won’t try to leverage that somehow for JS/HTML5…

What's peoples bets on how long it will be before adobe releases that as3 will compile to js?

Six months?

On Thursday, November 10, 2011, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is kind of nuts.
> On the surface, it's not alarming.  I don't think anyone in their right mind is trying to develop applications for the -mobile web- with Flash.
> I'm concerned about the news about 750 layoffs though.  Is the desktop flash browser plugin on the way out too then?
> Hooray for haXe...because I'd simply never want to build a game more complex than solitaire with javascript/html in its current state.
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The only thing this causes problems for is multimedia rich websites. HTML 5 isn't, and won't be for a while longer (2 years at least - waiting for IE probably) ready for this. I'm not talking about "apps". I'm talking about going to a website and have an experience.
>> If you tried to do the same in HTML5 you'd end up killing the device/battery even more than you do with a well developed Flash site, and you have the downside of really not knowing if it will work in THAT persons browser.
>> Welcome to testing x10 ! :(
>>

>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>> _______________________
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
>> _______________________
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM, blackdog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/09/2011 03:51 AM, Justin Donaldson wrote:
>>>
>>> No new flash vm's on mobile devices.  They're focusing on cross platform development for mobile apps, and html5 content on desktops.
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226
>>>
>>> Not a good sign for the AVM.
>>>
>>> -Justin
>>>

>>> It seems like it's a great shot in the arm for haXe. How else could you start to migrate off of a dying platform, giving yourself scope for the future on multiple others and retain and leverage part of your existing skillset?

>>> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Philippe

Re: Adobe is changing their strategy with Flash

Alex Liebert
I'd say it's nearly certain that as3 > 'html5' is coming next from Adobe.

A great opportunity to polish up nme/jeash and try to turn some press attention to it in the interim.

Is anyone working on games targeting html5 with nme we can push to showcase?

Alex