ANN: XAPI 0.1

Juan Delgado
Hi list,

Just submitted XAPI 0.1 to haxelib.

XAPI is meant to be a higher level API aimed at daily backend tasks.
Just to clarify, there's nothing on XAPI that you can't do with haXe
already. Think of it as a (hopefully) nice set of shortcuts and
helpers. I guess some people might think of this as a total waste of
time and reinventing the wheel, but I think that if using XAPI (or
something else) makes anybody x% more productive, then it's worth it.

I'm using it already as a kind of replacement for bash scripts, for
example. Although I like the command line, Bash is not very nice to
program on, specially if you compare it with the haXe + Neko + Xcross
combination. Using XAPI makes it even simpler for me, with things like
searching for files, copying folders, removing folders (even if not
empty!), calling SVN or other commands.. Very useful.

To get your hands on it, follow standard haxelib installation:

haxelib install xapi

Documentation (nicely integrated with haXe's site!) can be found here:

http://lib.haxe.org/d/xapi

And you can follow development in Github:

http://github.com/zarate/xapi

Next step I think it's going to be related to documentation, but I'll
open another post for that.

And thanks to the people that came up with ideas and suggestions, much
appreciated. Keep'em coming : )

Juan

--
Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv

Re: ANN: XAPI 0.1

Benjamin Dasnois
Just a little inconsistency :
xa.Application.exitError prints the error message to stdout, which is
not good since if it's an error message it should be printed to
stderr.

Regards,

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Just submitted XAPI 0.1 to haxelib.
>
> XAPI is meant to be a higher level API aimed at daily backend tasks.
> Just to clarify, there's nothing on XAPI that you can't do with haXe
> already. Think of it as a (hopefully) nice set of shortcuts and
> helpers. I guess some people might think of this as a total waste of
> time and reinventing the wheel, but I think that if using XAPI (or
> something else) makes anybody x% more productive, then it's worth it.
>
> I'm using it already as a kind of replacement for bash scripts, for
> example. Although I like the command line, Bash is not very nice to
> program on, specially if you compare it with the haXe + Neko + Xcross
> combination. Using XAPI makes it even simpler for me, with things like
> searching for files, copying folders, removing folders (even if not
> empty!), calling SVN or other commands.. Very useful.
>
> To get your hands on it, follow standard haxelib installation:
>
> haxelib install xapi
>
> Documentation (nicely integrated with haXe's site!) can be found here:
>
> http://lib.haxe.org/d/xapi
>
> And you can follow development in Github:
>
> http://github.com/zarate/xapi
>
> Next step I think it's going to be related to documentation, but I'll
> open another post for that.
>
> And thanks to the people that came up with ideas and suggestions, much
> appreciated. Keep'em coming : )
>
> Juan
>
> --
> Juan Delgado - Zárate
> http://zarate.tv
> http://blog.zarate.tv

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: ANN: XAPI 0.1

Juan Delgado
Nice catch!

Since std library doesn't provide this, I guess I could add

xa.Utils.printError(message : String) : Void

Is it as simple as calling this command for all platforms?

echo message >&2

Then I'll automatically redirect xa.Application.exitError() there.

On it!

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Benjamin Dasnois
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a little inconsistency :
> xa.Application.exitError prints the error message to stdout, which is
> not good since if it's an error message it should be printed to
> stderr.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Just submitted XAPI 0.1 to haxelib.
>>
>> XAPI is meant to be a higher level API aimed at daily backend tasks.
>> Just to clarify, there's nothing on XAPI that you can't do with haXe
>> already. Think of it as a (hopefully) nice set of shortcuts and
>> helpers. I guess some people might think of this as a total waste of
>> time and reinventing the wheel, but I think that if using XAPI (or
>> something else) makes anybody x% more productive, then it's worth it.
>>
>> I'm using it already as a kind of replacement for bash scripts, for
>> example. Although I like the command line, Bash is not very nice to
>> program on, specially if you compare it with the haXe + Neko + Xcross
>> combination. Using XAPI makes it even simpler for me, with things like
>> searching for files, copying folders, removing folders (even if not
>> empty!), calling SVN or other commands.. Very useful.
>>
>> To get your hands on it, follow standard haxelib installation:
>>
>> haxelib install xapi
>>
>> Documentation (nicely integrated with haXe's site!) can be found here:
>>
>> http://lib.haxe.org/d/xapi
>>
>> And you can follow development in Github:
>>
>> http://github.com/zarate/xapi
>>
>> Next step I think it's going to be related to documentation, but I'll
>> open another post for that.
>>
>> And thanks to the people that came up with ideas and suggestions, much
>> appreciated. Keep'em coming : )
>>
>> Juan
>>
>> --
>> Juan Delgado - Zárate
>> http://zarate.tv
>> http://blog.zarate.tv

> DASNOIS Benjamin
> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: ANN: XAPI 0.1

Benjamin Dasnois
neko.io.File.stderr().writeString ?

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice catch!
>
> Since std library doesn't provide this, I guess I could add
>
> xa.Utils.printError(message : String) : Void
>
> Is it as simple as calling this command for all platforms?
>
> echo message >&2
>
> Then I'll automatically redirect xa.Application.exitError() there.
>
> On it!

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Benjamin Dasnois
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just a little inconsistency :
>> xa.Application.exitError prints the error message to stdout, which is
>> not good since if it's an error message it should be printed to
>> stderr.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> Just submitted XAPI 0.1 to haxelib.
>>>
>>> XAPI is meant to be a higher level API aimed at daily backend tasks.
>>> Just to clarify, there's nothing on XAPI that you can't do with haXe
>>> already. Think of it as a (hopefully) nice set of shortcuts and
>>> helpers. I guess some people might think of this as a total waste of
>>> time and reinventing the wheel, but I think that if using XAPI (or
>>> something else) makes anybody x% more productive, then it's worth it.
>>>
>>> I'm using it already as a kind of replacement for bash scripts, for
>>> example. Although I like the command line, Bash is not very nice to
>>> program on, specially if you compare it with the haXe + Neko + Xcross
>>> combination. Using XAPI makes it even simpler for me, with things like
>>> searching for files, copying folders, removing folders (even if not
>>> empty!), calling SVN or other commands.. Very useful.
>>>
>>> To get your hands on it, follow standard haxelib installation:
>>>
>>> haxelib install xapi
>>>
>>> Documentation (nicely integrated with haXe's site!) can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://lib.haxe.org/d/xapi
>>>
>>> And you can follow development in Github:
>>>
>>> http://github.com/zarate/xapi
>>>
>>> Next step I think it's going to be related to documentation, but I'll
>>> open another post for that.
>>>
>>> And thanks to the people that came up with ideas and suggestions, much
>>> appreciated. Keep'em coming : )
>>>
>>> Juan
>>>
>>> --
>>> Juan Delgado - Zárate
>>> http://zarate.tv
>>> http://blog.zarate.tv

>> DASNOIS Benjamin
>> http://www.benjamindasnois.com

> Juan Delgado - Zárate
> http://zarate.tv
> http://blog.zarate.tv

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: ANN: XAPI 0.1

MarcWeber
Excerpts from Juan Delgado's message of Sat Feb 13 20:58:01 +0100 2010:
> Nice catch!
>
> Since std library doesn't provide this, I guess I could add
>
> xa.Utils.printError(message : String) : Void
>
> Is it as simple as calling this command for all platforms?
>
> echo message >&2
This is a hack which will work (assuming that you use proper escaping)
for /bin/sh zsh, bash, cmd (Windows).. So I guess it's fine. Maybe cmd
requires a different escaping?

Probably echoing to stderr should be added to stdlib falling back to
stdout if the backend doesn't support it..

using print operates directly on a file handle whereas calling echo
involves spawning a new process (/bin/sh on Linux). However echoing
error lines is done seldomly.

I stopped using Bash as well for scripting tasks I want to maintain.
I started using Ruby instead for now.

Marc Weber

Re: ANN: XAPI 0.1

Juan Delgado