A haXe Emacs mode

David Bergman
Since I am not only an old LISP aficionado but also enjoy the ease
with which one can jump through compiler errors and immediately jump
to the corresponding line in code, I do use Emacs when haXing away. If
you do too, this is an Emacs mode that I created by copying the
eminent AS3 mode by John Connors and altering small pieces. I will put
it somewhere else later - along with that "C++ - Neko integration
library" I promised earlier, but just wanted you to get hold of it and
hopefully get some feedback early on. Yes, there are many haXe types
one could add to the mode...

We can talk about the merits of using hard and soft tabs in source
code later; the convention that I think is winning is soft tabs, with
each tab replaced by two whitespaces. I mention this because that
issue becomes blatantly obvious as soon as you open haXe files with
Emacs (and this mode.)

PS
I know there is another Emacs mode out there, but I could not get it
to work, and cannot remember the reason why not, so if we definitely
want to use that other mode, I can work to improve that instead

/David

haxe-mode.el (6K) Download Attachment

Re: A haXe Emacs mode

Ian Martins
David Bergman wrote:

> Since I am not only an old LISP aficionado but also enjoy the ease
> with which one can jump through compiler errors and immediately jump
> to the corresponding line in code, I do use Emacs when haXing away. If
> you do too, this is an Emacs mode that I created by copying the
> eminent AS3 mode by John Connors and altering small pieces. I will put
> it somewhere else later - along with that "C++ - Neko integration
> library" I promised earlier, but just wanted you to get hold of it and
> hopefully get some feedback early on. Yes, there are many haXe types
> one could add to the mode...
>
> We can talk about the merits of using hard and soft tabs in source
> code later; the convention that I think is winning is soft tabs, with
> each tab replaced by two whitespaces. I mention this because that
> issue becomes blatantly obvious as soon as you open haXe files with
> Emacs (and this mode.)
>
> PS
> I know there is another Emacs mode out there, but I could not get it
> to work, and cannot remember the reason why not, so if we definitely
> want to use that other mode, I can work to improve that instead
>
> /David
I've been using the other one and am happy with it.  the only problem
I've noticed is that indentation sometimes gets messed up by regex
syntax.  I'll try yours out as well.

wherever you put yours, you should link to it from http://haxe.org/com/ide

-Ian

Re: A haXe Emacs mode

Jens Peter Secher
2009/4/30 David Bergman <[hidden email]>:

> PS
> I know there is another Emacs mode out there, but I could not get it to
> work, and cannot remember the reason why not, so if we definitely want to
> use that other mode, I can work to improve that instead

Assuming that you are referring to
http://people.debian.org/~jps/misc/haxe-mode.el, there were some
problems with emacs21 (due to a bug in cc-mode), but there should not
be any problems with emacs22.

But patches are very welcome!  One thing that has been on my todo list
since... ages... is to incorporate code completion via the haxe
compiler.

                                                    Jens Peter Secher.
_DD6A 05B0 174E BFB2 D4D9 B52E 0EE5 978A FE63 E8A1 jpsecher gmail com_.
A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion.
Q. Why is top posting bad?