3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
(I repost this email out of the naming thread for more visibility).

This mail to talk about our development strategy;

I take for granted we'll stick to a subset of the flash3D API (it is reasonable and gives us C++ / Neko target thanks to Hugh).
So now, there are two extremums:

1) Create everything from scratch (runtime, tools, formats) on the port of the flash3D api.
2) Use an away3D engine/tools/formats and concentrate on the port of the flash3D api.

Frankly, Here are my thoughts:

1) Will take too much time before results and it will basically kill the project.
2) Has the merit of making us concentrating our efforts on the backend BUT requiers at the same time to make a port of away3D, which could be time consuming and somewhat frustrating for the people involved if they think some others would basically throw it away afterwards.

So there's a middle answer:

Porting the flash3D API for the different targets and incrementally porting the minimal requiered away3D code in haxe based on a milestone plan.
So we make progress and gives us to eventually rewrite some part we're not happy with later as long as we keep compaatible with tools and formats.

I think this is the best to start with as it will give us a working common API with tools etc.. so we can concentrate our efforts on bringing the backends to life which is the biggest added value of this project.

When that's done (and it will already be a big - and very rewarding job), then, we could sit down and take more decisions.

About this weekend IRC;
I propose to make it happen in 28h37min from this reply date.

I propose to discuss this and to define:
 The steps toward a first proof of concept milestone with cross plateform visible results.
 (It will prove then if we're on the right path and motivate us for next one (incremental plan towards running games :) ).

I understand not everybody will be there; the report will be on the wiki so another round could be made before we commit to the first sprints. :)

I hope everybody is fine with that!

I am a complete noob at IRC, so if someone knows how to create a specific room and save the IRC content, it would be appreciated (please apply).

Stephane

P.S.: we still need some sexy names, but please keep that for the end of the meeting.. :)

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

Matthew Spencer-2
The IRC meeting is proposed to happen 5 hours from now, but I've seen no info on IRC. Has a channel been decided yet?

If not, why don't we set it up at #HIDE3D  irc.freenode.net

--Matthew

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
Ok, Lets have this happened at HIDE3D.
I'm not used to IRC so I presume I only got to type join on #HIDE3D and everything would be fine, right?
Is there any way to record what's been discussed?
Thanks

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Matthew Spencer-2 [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The IRC meeting is proposed to happen 5 hours from now, but I've seen no info on IRC. Has a channel been decided yet?

If not, why don't we set it up at #HIDE3D  irc.freenode.net

--Matthew

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-strategy-IRC-meeting-tp6465314p6466867.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

Matthew Spencer-2
I can set up the channel if you'd like. It'll be up in about 30 seconds if you want to join in and get it set up how you like.

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

MarcWeber
irc:

creating or joining a room:
type: /join name
all lines starting with / are special.

logging: Most irc clients can be configured to log to files. Examples
are irssi, pidgin, ...

Additional there are many different bots.

If you need a client running on a server .. I can provide an account.
ping back in that case. Setup should be about 2min.

In Japan lingr.com is very popular. Its a web based chat system which
automatically keeps logs so that you can lookup history later.

Eventually tools like titanpad are an option as well. They provide both:
chat capabilities and a pad to keep summaries.

however there is a current irc.freenode.net chat room #haxe - so
probably its best to use that.

Marc Weber

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
Sorry for the delay (small boy at home)
Please do, I'm fine with that and I'll join later on.
About settings I really don't know the possibiliites.. should we care? if so make it the best you can :)
I am currently using qwebirc to join.
Stephane

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Matthew Spencer-2 [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can set up the channel if you'd like. It'll be up in about 30 seconds if you want to join in and get it set up how you like.

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-strategy-IRC-meeting-tp6465314p6466883.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
Hi Marc!
Thanks for the tip, lingr looks cool, I'll check that!
I've let Matthew take care of setting things up, I prefer someone experienced with it, not like me..
Will you join us?
Stephane

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:51 AM, MarcWeber [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
irc:

creating or joining a room:
type: /join name
all lines starting with / are special.

logging: Most irc clients can be configured to log to files. Examples
are irssi, pidgin, ...

Additional there are many different bots.

If you need a client running on a server .. I can provide an account.
ping back in that case. Setup should be about 2min.

In Japan lingr.com is very popular. Its a web based chat system which
automatically keeps logs so that you can lookup history later.

Eventually tools like titanpad are an option as well. They provide both:
chat capabilities and a pad to keep summaries.

however there is a current irc.freenode.net chat room #haxe - so
probably its best to use that.

Marc Weber

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-strategy-IRC-meeting-tp6465314p6466913.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
Please let us know when it's up and running and if you have a solution for backing messages.
Stephane

P.S.: I've just looked into lingr Marc sent and it provides everything.. So it could be B plan if you do not have a backup solution.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Matthew Spencer-2 [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can set up the channel if you'd like. It'll be up in about 30 seconds if you want to join in and get it set up how you like.

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-strategy-IRC-meeting-tp6465314p6466883.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

Matthew Spencer-2
I just use Pidgin to back things up, I'm fine with using Marc's alternative as well. I just wanted to make sure we had somewhere to go, as I had not seen any update recently.

The channel is up on irc.freenode.net, so just let me know if you want to use it, or lingr.

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
I've been able to join :)
see you soon!

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Matthew Spencer-2 [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just use Pidgin to back things up, I'm fine with using Marc's alternative as well. I just wanted to make sure we had somewhere to go, as I had not seen any update recently.

The channel is up on irc.freenode.net, so just let me know if you want to use it, or lingr.

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-strategy-IRC-meeting-tp6465314p6466943.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

MarcWeber
Excerpts from sledorze's message of Sun Jun 12 12:06:08 +0200 2011:
> Will you join us?
Would someone going to pay me?
So don't think that I can give this a priority :(

Marc Weber

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
Money is an issue indeed :\
I will possibly have the same in some months..

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:42 PM, MarcWeber [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excerpts from sledorze's message of Sun Jun 12 12:06:08 +0200 2011:
> Will you join us?
Would someone going to pay me?
So don't think that I can give this a priority :(

Marc Weber

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-strategy-IRC-meeting-tp6465314p6468212.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

Just noticed this posted on fb http://bit.ly/BSP_MAPS_AWAY3D_AND_THREEJS  looks interesting.

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
Yes, there's need for cross platform devs.. :)
However, on my laptop, the WebGL version is dead slow here and Flash one fails on loading.. !

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

seacloud9
Just an FYI the demo requires stage3D plugin or Molehill should work has been tested on OSX and Windows7. Flash versions gets about 60fps while the threeJS version gets about 30fps if you are not using ANGLE on a windows machine.  It is actually a big model and contains a great deal of data.

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
I've tested it with the incubator build..

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM, seacloud9 [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just an FYI the demo requires stage3D plugin or Molehill should work has been tested on OSX and Windows7. Flash versions gets about 60fps while the threeJS version gets about 30fps if you are not using ANGLE on a windows machine.  It is actually a big model and contains a great deal of data.

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-strategy-IRC-meeting-tp6465314p6470834.html
To unsubscribe from 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting, click here.

--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

seacloud9
Hmm.  That is odd.  I have tested it on OSX Snow Leopard, XP, and Windows7 and it appears to work in all cases. It does take a second to load you will see things appear after it loads and pop into the screen should have probably placed a loader.   If you see all black and your using Chrome you probably need to enable the new incubator build by going to about:plugins click on the details panel and then enable the version11 it won't enable it by default due to the sandboxing.  Please let me know if you get an actual error message and be sure to right click to see you are actually running v11.

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
If there's someone out there willing to give some REALLY good time to this I may be able to put up some cash. This is as long as we can make a Flash and iOS build ASAP. Won't need heaps, but would need to work with simple non animated meshes (low poly heads) and be able to work with NME stuff for overlays etc.

Think Fruit Ninja (but not).

Anyone up for that? How much money would be needed?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 6:17 AM, seacloud9 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmm.  That is odd.  I have tested it on OSX Snow Leopard, XP, and Windows7
and it appears to work in all cases. It does take a second to load you will
see things appear after it loads and pop into the screen should have
probably placed a loader.   If you see all black and your using Chrome you
probably need to enable the new incubator build by going to about:plugins
click on the details panel and then enable the version11 it won't enable it
by default due to the sandboxing.  Please let me know if you get an actual
error message and be sure to right click to see you are actually running
v11.

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

sledorze
Win7, FireFox 4.0.1.

Ok, here's for the Flash version (11.0.0.58d):
ReferenceError: Error #1065: La variable JSON n'est pas d襩nie.
at away3d.loaders.parsers::JSONOBJParser/proceedParsing()
at away3d.loaders.parsers::ParserBase/onInterval()
at away3d.loaders.parsers::ParserBase/startParsing()
at away3d.loaders.parsers::ParserBase/parseTextAsync()
at away3d.loaders.misc::SingleFileLoader/parse()
at away3d.loaders.misc::SingleFileLoader/handleUrlLoaderComplete()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at flash.net::URLLoader/onComplete()

WebGL:
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMHTMLCanvasElement.getContext]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: http://i-create.org/JavaScript/bspExample/js/Three.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 5909"  data: no]
Line 5912

Hope it helps,
Stephane

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-strategy-IRC-meeting-tp6465314p6471649.html
To unsubscribe from 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting, click here.

--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: 3D Engine incubator - strategy & IRC meeting

seacloud9
Looks like its your incubator version.  I am using 11.0.1.3d they had a new release in May.  It looks like your error is coming from not having that update.  It adds native JSON parsing to the player its really cool updated it and it should fix your issues.

Running Win7 with Firefox 4.0.1 I am not receiving any errors.  I will look further into that one it might the threeJS BSP definetly works well in chrome.
12