3D Engine incubator code name.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

3D Engine incubator code name.

sledorze
Hello,

Need an inspiring code name for the cross plateform 3D Engine.
Otherwise, no repo :p

Feel free to propose!
Stephane
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

sledorze
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

bruno baudry
In reply to this post by sledorze
haXXXe

2011/6/10 sledorze <[hidden email]>
Hello,

Need an inspiring code name for the cross plateform 3D Engine.
Otherwise, no repo :p

Feel free to propose!
Stephane


--
View this message in context: http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6463546.html
Sent from the Haxe mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

Cauê W.
hahahah cool
3X

2011/6/10 bruno baudry <[hidden email]>
haXXXe


2011/6/10 sledorze <[hidden email]>
Hello,

Need an inspiring code name for the cross plateform 3D Engine.
Otherwise, no repo :p

Feel free to propose!
Stephane


--
View this message in context: http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6463546.html
Sent from the Haxe mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

bruno baudry
remember the meeting some where asking for more of that in haXe...

2011/6/10 Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]>
hahahah cool
3X


2011/6/10 bruno baudry <[hidden email]>
haXXXe


2011/6/10 sledorze <[hidden email]>
Hello,

Need an inspiring code name for the cross plateform 3D Engine.
Otherwise, no repo :p

Feel free to propose!
Stephane


--
View this message in context: http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6463546.html
Sent from the Haxe mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I suggest an interesting but not haxe related name. There's already too many of them. Something like "project gonzo", but please not that one exactly!

But remember it would be best to work on top of the shoulder of giants ie Away3D, or at least I think so. Otherwise it'll never get done. There's some very smart people there.


Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
_______________________

Touch My Pixel
http://www.touchmypixel.com/
phone: +61 3 8060 5321
_______________________


On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 5:51 AM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
remember the meeting some where asking for more of that in haXe...


2011/6/10 Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]>
hahahah cool
3X


2011/6/10 bruno baudry <[hidden email]>
haXXXe


2011/6/10 sledorze <[hidden email]>
Hello,

Need an inspiring code name for the cross plateform 3D Engine.
Otherwise, no repo :p

Feel free to propose!
Stephane


--
View this message in context: http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6463546.html
Sent from the Haxe mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

sledorze
Agree, We should not start from scratch, even if we'd like to rewrite some part, it would be easier to make that once the cross target exists and is usable.

Was wondering..
Does away3D uses the fact on can create weak references in flash? (which do not yet exist in our beloved browsers... ...yet)
What about weakrefs in the current hxcpp target? 


On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suggest an interesting but not haxe related name. There's already too many of them. Something like "project gonzo", but please not that one exactly!

But remember it would be best to work on top of the shoulder of giants ie Away3D, or at least I think so. Otherwise it'll never get done. There's some very smart people there.


Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
_______________________

Touch My Pixel
http://www.touchmypixel.com/
phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________



On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 5:51 AM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
remember the meeting some where asking for more of that in haXe...


2011/6/10 Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]>
hahahah cool
3X


2011/6/10 bruno baudry <[hidden email]>
haXXXe


2011/6/10 sledorze <[hidden email]>
Hello,

Need an inspiring code name for the cross plateform 3D Engine.
Otherwise, no repo :p

Feel free to propose!
Stephane


--
View this message in context: http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6463546.html
Sent from the Haxe mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6463815.html
To unsubscribe from 3D Engine incubator code name., click here.



--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

Gamehaxe
Hi,
My plans in this regard is to support the new flash3d api.
So I would consider the hxcpp/nme target to go along the lines of:
1. Get the flash version working
2. Use that as a reference for hxcpp
This splits the work quite neatly, and means that I will not be
holding you up, or really even having that much to add,
in development of file formats/data structures/ scene graphs/
collisions/physics/animation controllers etc etc.

If you wish to think about hxcpp optmisation issues, I suggest
you keep away from Dynamic, template types (unless rtti.generic),
lists and Enums.  There is also no weak references in cpp or neko,
although I could add them to cpp if *really* required.

Hugh





--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

Matthew Spencer-2

Hi,
My plans in this regard is to support the new flash3d api.
So I would consider the hxcpp/nme target to go along the lines of:
1. Get the flash version working
2. Use that as a reference for hxcpp
This splits the work quite neatly, and means that I will not be
holding you up, or really even having that much to add,
in development of file formats/data structures/ scene graphs/
collisions/physics/animation controllers etc etc.

If you wish to think about hxcpp optmisation issues, I suggest
you keep away from Dynamic, template types (unless rtti.generic),
lists and Enums.  There is also no weak references in cpp or neko,
although I could add them to cpp if *really* required.
Avoiding using these types will increase performance in Flash as well, so I agree with this. I would also recommend not using a "do everything" scene graph, their performance already suffers enough just with transformations.

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

sledorze
In reply to this post by Gamehaxe
Thanks Hugh,
That makes sense and is very good news :)

As for weak references, they're very useful in conjunction with garbage collection to prevent leaks, doing less 'reference managment' and spending less time tracking them down.

If made a search with 'weak' keyword and found no usage of weakrefs in away3D,

However, a quick search showed that the need already applies for away3D users (normal):
http://code.google.com/p/away3d/issues/detail?id=104

So looks like there is no problem for an in browser port (good news) :)



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

sledorze
In reply to this post by Matthew Spencer-2
This mail to talk about our development strategy;

I take for granted we'll stick to a subset of the flash3D API (it is reasonable and gives us C++ / Neko target thanks to Hugh).
So now, there are two extremums:

1) Create everything from scratch (runtime, tools, formats) on the port of the flash3D api.
2) Use an away3D engine/tools/formats and concentrate on the port of the flash3D api.

Frankly, Here are my thoughts:

1) Will take too much time before results and it will basically kill the project.
2) Has the merit of making us concentrating our efforts on the backend BUT requiers at the same time to make a port of away3D, which could be time consuming and somewhat frustrating for the people involved if they think some others would basically throw it away afterwards.



So there's a middle answer:

Porting the flash3D API for the different targets and incrementally porting the minimal requiered away3D code in haxe based on a milestone plan.
So we make progress and gives us to eventually rewrite some part we're not happy with later as long as we keep compaatible with tools and formats.

I think this is the best to start with as it will give us a working common API with tools etc.. so we can concentrate our efforts on bringing the backends to life which is the biggest added value of this project.


When that's done (and it will already be a big - and very rewarding job), then, we could sit down and take more decisions.


About this weekend IRC;
I propose to make it happen in 28h37min from this reply date.

I propose to discuss this and to define:
 The steps toward a first proof of concept milestone with cross plateform visible results.
 (It will prove then if we're on the right path and motivate us for next one (incremental plan towards running games :) ).

I understand not everybody will be there; the report will be on the wiki so another round could be made before we commit to the first sprints. :)

I hope everybody is fine with that!

I am a complete noob at IRC, so if someone knows how to create a specific room and save the IRC content, it would be appreciated (please apply).

Stephane

P.S.: we still need some sexy names, but please keep that for the end of the meeting.. :)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

jlm@justinfront.net
In reply to this post by Gamehaxe
Ok I am just moving some of the as3 to haXe format so the smart guys  
can try to get something to compile and optimize its quite slow by  
hand but used to porting as3 to haXe, and prefer to do it by hand will  
change the formatting so I can see which bits I have touched.  
Removing Arcane as it's just a pain and decided Int is more cross  
platform than having uint.  If someone sets up Mercurial or Git I can  
upload if I get anywhere in a couple of days.

Cheers
;j

On 11 Jun 2011, at 08:23, Gamehaxe wrote:

> Hi,
> My plans in this regard is to support the new flash3d api.
> So I would consider the hxcpp/nme target to go along the lines of:
> 1. Get the flash version working
> 2. Use that as a reference for hxcpp
> This splits the work quite neatly, and means that I will not be
> holding you up, or really even having that much to add,
> in development of file formats/data structures/ scene graphs/
> collisions/physics/animation controllers etc etc.
>
> If you wish to think about hxcpp optmisation issues, I suggest
> you keep away from Dynamic, template types (unless rtti.generic),
> lists and Enums.  There is also no weak references in cpp or neko,
> although I could add them to cpp if *really* required.
>
> Hugh
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

jlm@justinfront.net
In reply to this post by sledorze
It uses Dictionary( true ) ; so I guess that is use of week ref.

On 11 Jun 2011, at 11:26, sledorze wrote:

> Thanks Hugh,
> That makes sense and is very good news :)
>
> As for weak references, they're very useful in conjunction with  
> garbage
> collection to prevent leaks, doing less 'reference managment' and  
> spending
> less time tracking them down.
>
> If made a search with 'weak' keyword and found no usage of weakrefs in
> away3D,
>
> However, a quick search showed that the need already applies for  
> away3D
> users (normal):
> http://code.google.com/p/away3d/issues/detail?id=104
>
> So looks like there is no problem for an in browser port (good  
> news) :)
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6464889.html
> Sent from the Haxe mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

sledorze
Oh bad.. I didn't know about this way of doing weak refs in flash..

Ok so.. looks like we need the same support on hxcpp and neko..
This will become an immediate issue in browsers.. :\
(got to investigate consequencies - but we can bet by the time 3D will be broadly available in browser weakMaps will also be supported - cross fingers) (already available on aurora builds (FF)).

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

jlm@justinfront.net
They are used because flash does not like to let go, so may not be a  
problem in c++.

On 11 Jun 2011, at 16:25, sledorze wrote:

> Oh bad.. I didn't know about this way of doing weak refs in flash..
>
> Ok so.. looks like we need the same support on hxcpp and neko..
> This will become an immediate issue in browsers.. :\
> (got to investigate consequencies - but we can bet by the time 3D  
> will be
> broadly available in browser weakMaps will also be supported - cross
> fingers) (already available on aurora builds (FF)).
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6465345.html
> Sent from the Haxe mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Engine incubator code name.

sledorze
In reply to this post by jlm@justinfront.net
Gimme your github accounts; I'll add you as contributor! (others may apply the same way).

I've choosen a temporary name project "HIDE" stands for Haxe Incubator 3D Engine.

Repo here :



On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM, [hidden email] [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok I am just moving some of the as3 to haXe format so the smart guys  
can try to get something to compile and optimize its quite slow by  
hand but used to porting as3 to haXe, and prefer to do it by hand will  
change the formatting so I can see which bits I have touched.  
Removing Arcane as it's just a pain and decided Int is more cross  
platform than having uint.  If someone sets up Mercurial or Git I can  
upload if I get anywhere in a couple of days.

Cheers
;j

On 11 Jun 2011, at 08:23, Gamehaxe wrote:

> Hi,
> My plans in this regard is to support the new flash3d api.
> So I would consider the hxcpp/nme target to go along the lines of:
> 1. Get the flash version working
> 2. Use that as a reference for hxcpp
> This splits the work quite neatly, and means that I will not be
> holding you up, or really even having that much to add,
> in development of file formats/data structures/ scene graphs/
> collisions/physics/animation controllers etc etc.
>
> If you wish to think about hxcpp optmisation issues, I suggest
> you keep away from Dynamic, template types (unless rtti.generic),
> lists and Enums.  There is also no weak references in cpp or neko,
> although I could add them to cpp if *really* required.
>
> Hugh
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/3D-Engine-incubator-code-name-tp6463546p6465315.html
To unsubscribe from 3D Engine incubator code name., click here.



--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15